Buying under Education

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kimcheeboi65, May 9, 2006.

1. kimcheeboi65 macrumors member

kimcheeboi65

What are the benefits of buying a Mac under the Educational?

2. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

The only thing I found beneficial was no tax. I paid the Apple website price w/o the 8.25% sales tax pretty much. They also offer Applecare for around $240 for students, which you can find on ebay for about that price.

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I use it for discounts. It saves money on new computers and other things. I have always had to pay tax here in CO. I think it would be a fluke if you didn't pay tax (a favorible fluke albeit).

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, you still pay tax, but you get a discount on the price of most things apple. Some of the low end things are not discounted (ie. cheap shuffle is reg. price I think) but many are much cheaper.

5. dbruzzone macrumors newbie

Typically, like with any company you buy from over the Internet, if the company has a presence (such as a store or a warehouse) in the state to which you have the product that you bought shipped, you'll be charged tax. So if there's an Apple store in the state in which you live, you'll be charged tax.

As far as Apple's educational discount, you get a small discount on their hardware (I just ordered a 17" MBP and got it for about $300 less) and (typically) a larger discount on their software.

Cheers...

Dave

6. Losium macrumors newbie

Careful..

If you are going to buy a Mac using the education discount make sure you check the prices at your university first. At my school, UCF, you can get the ibook for 917 dollars as opposed to the 950 or so directly from apple.
    Now I don't know if this is because my school's store is desperately trying to get rid of the ibooks, but eh, who knows.

7. debrey macrumors member

My school, UCLA, has a number of incredible deals. The iMac 20" is 200 less with the education discount and then another 200 less with the sale they have right now. Going to your local university store is always a good idea.

--David

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yeah. You'll be paying for tax unless you live in a tax-free state like *cough*oregon*cough*

9. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

This is especially true for software. I bought some software at another school. They offered the software at half (and some at a quarter) of the Apple edu price.

10. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

Well my mom uses the Education discount, because shes a teacher. She gets 10% off everything we buy, I don't know if it is the same for students, probably is.

11. kimcheeboi65 thread starter macrumors member

kimcheeboi65

well, I attend UCSD and our school has apple computers they sell at our store. but they only have default setting MBP like 15.4 with only 1gb and 2.0ghz. I want to upgrade it to 2gb and 2.16ghz. When i checked the online site and tried buying a MBP from standard education site, I didn't get any discount. any feedback?

12. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

The discount is already displayed in the price if you are on the education site.