Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gillms1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Hi,

I've seen a 20" 2.16ghz core 2 duo, 2GB Ram iMac for £700 (around $1400) - it still has 8 months warranty on it but doesn't come boxed or with the original installation cd's.

1) Sound like a good deal?

2) Is it risky buying without the installation cd's? Or could I just purchase an extra copy of tiger and use to re-install if I ever needed to (obviously the OS would install, but do the original cd's contain specific drivers?).

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sunny

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
2) no worries, original CDs does have extras, like iLife, but not very important if u ask me

1) no, i found that price to be too high for a used 20" iMac.

gillms1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
thanks for the reply. How much do you think would be an acceptable price? I thought £700 might be good considering it
has the memory upgrade.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
thanks for the reply. How much do you think would be an acceptable price? I thought £700 might be good considering it
has the memory upgrade.
I don't know, just feel its too expensive, I would accept it for <$1200.

lol, But maybe I just don't feel like buy a used iMac with unknown conditions for such a price, if u don't care that much, u can just go ahead.

gillms1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
yeah point taken - hard to figure out what would be a good price when its not boxed and missing cd's - I'll probably go have a look at it and use those factors to try and get the price down a bit. Thanks again for replying.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
yeah point taken - hard to figure out what would be a good price when its not boxed and missing cd's - I'll probably go have a look at it and use those factors to try and get the price down a bit. Thanks again for replying.

Ignore that guy. That is fantastic price to pay for it in the UK. Esp with the RAM and all.

David

KarlEdmunds

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2006
If this is in the UK that is an absolutely fantastic price. Many of you will think it's too high, but then if you live in the USA you will because your prices are lower anyway.

Go for it, I have a 20" with just 1-GB and I love it, hoping to upgrade to 2-GB in the near future.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i would also ask for the serial number b/c you can either call apple or ping their support site and using the SN, check it's repair history (assuming it went through apple if it needed anything done.

good luck,
keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.