Buying Used Mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Loser120588, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Loser120588 macrumors member

Jan 11, 2007
    OK i am serously considering buying a used mac mini to see if i like the OS X
    and the mac system.

The one i am considering is:
    Product Family: Mac Mini
    Memory (RAM): 64 MB
    Processor Type: PowerPC G4
    Hard Drive Capacity: 40 GB
    Processor Speed: 1.25 GHz
    Operating System: Mac OS 10.4, Tiger
    Processor Configuration: Single
    Condition: Used
    I have never used a mac before but heard only good things about them. i only want this machine for a media center and to be a tester to see if i like the OS X and then if i like it i am going to buy a MBP. would this be a good testing machine and should i get an intel processesor over a G4. i have always used Intell processeors so i really dont know much about G4's. Any advice will be greatly appreaciated.
  2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    That machine will not show you the true power of osx if, get intel if possible, I wouldnt buy that for much mone, but if you decide to keep in mind the mbp with be much much much much faster.
  3. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    You should go with an intel version, then it will be faster, and if you need to run anything in windows you can.
  4. Loser120588 thread starter macrumors member

Jan 11, 2007
    G4 intel

How much would you pay for that G4 and how much would you end up paying for the cheapest intel version. both versions keep in mind will be used and bought off of ebay.
  5. Yoursh macrumors 6502

May 28, 2006
    If you can get the described unit for a couple $100 dollars then maybe, otherwise skip it. The main issue is that the ram is lacking when it comes to running OSX 10.4. If I remember correctly, the minimum ram required to run 10.4 is 256MB(maybe 128MB). More if you want it to run well. If you wanted to run the 10.4 on the mini you listed, you would have to upgrade the ram. Which could be a little tricky depending on how comfortable you are in doing it yourself. Otherwise you would be paying alot to have a professional do it, at least more than it's worth for that system. Also, it may not have wireless/bluetooth installed.

If you really plan to use it later as a media center, then definately go with an Intel mini. The reason is all intel mac's, except for the Mac Pro, come with an IR(infer red) port on the front that works with an included remote for Front Row. That is a slick media interface software loaded on those newer macs that allow you to play media content(movies, music, photos, and DVD).Here's a link to more info on it... I have this on my macbook and is great feature for viewing your content with. The older G4 minis weren't built to run Front Row. It's possible to get it on the G4's but it takes some work and doesn't have IR/remote built in.

You can get used intel core solo mini's in the $400-$500 range on ebay and such. If you can swing that much, go with one of those.
  6. Heath macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2005
    I have this same machine, except I'm not sure how you got it with only 64 mb of ram, I'm assuming you mean video ram.

If you're planning to use it as a media center, and you have any high def content, I'd say pass on it. My machine struggles with high def content dropping frames and such, even with 1 gig of system ram.

1080 resolution chugs especially, 720 works alright if the machine is otherwise idle.
    Also you won't have the snazzy apple remote for it and you'll have to jump through hoops to get front row working for it.

All in all I'd say grab an intel mini over this guy.
  7. Loser120588 thread starter macrumors member

Jan 11, 2007
    What about this?

Here is another one that i was thinking of and its alittle better then the othero one. how relialbe are the G4 processors do they crash alot and with a 1.42 processor will i see the cool animaitions with 10.4.

Product Family: Mac Mini
    Memory (RAM): 512 MB
    Processor Type: PowerPC G4
    Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
    Processor Speed: 1.42 GHz
    Operating System: Mac OS 10.4, Tiger
    Processor Configuration: Single
    Condition: Used
  8. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    This one is pretty decent. and is standard hardwares suites as apple's original ppc version of mini.

I would honestly suggest u get 1G RAM.
  9. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    You'll see the Tiger animations, IIRC, with the graphics card in that. The G4 processors are quite stable, and I wouldn't worry about that.

Please just keep in mind that it's an older system and, even when it was new, wasn't phenomenally competitive.

It'll show you OS X just fine. I wouldn't waste the $$ on a RAM upgrade if all you're doing is checking out the OS. Just imagine everything you do, vastly faster: that's Intel + more RAM.