Buying used Verizon iPhone 5 for use on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MisterLas, Jan 18, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a Verizon iPhone 5 to use on AT&T. I want to make sure the seller (craigslist) won't report the phone as lost/stolen to Verizon somehow after I buy the phone. From what I am reading:

1. It would still be GSM unlocked (would work fine for me)
    2. It's ESN would be blocked from Verzion (maybe them only?).

I am only concerned because I don't want to hose the resale value of the phone if/when I decide to sell it in the future.

Is there a way I can protect myself from this happening? TIA

2. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

AFAIK verizion ip5 are factory unlocked so yes u can use it for ATT

now when it comes to ESN block, i don't think u will need that because you're using ICCID anyways (SIM CARD) for ATT. i think...

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I understand that... But I want to make sure it DOESNT get blocked from Verizon as well... I might want to switch to them in the future, who knows... It would also reduce the resale value of the phone if the CDMA side was blocked.

4. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

5. macrumors 601

fireshot91

As far as I know, the LTE won't work. And even then, I thought Verizon's iPhones, after being unlocked, don't work for AT&T, but every other carrier?

Why not just buy an AT&T iPhone?

6. macrumors 6502

Meet in a Verizon store.... That way they can verify it isn't stolen then have them take it off their account (if they haven't already) after that they can't report it if its not on their account.

----------

Using an Verizon iphone in att will allow you to not pay for data or let you run the $10 dumbphone data

7. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

if its unlocked... then it is what it is, unlocked to use to other GSM carriers.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, meant to add that I know the LTE wont work either... I live in WV, we won't see that for another 30 years anyways. I am under contract with ATT and no upgrade for awhile. People are selling their Verizon iPhone 5s, but nobody on ATT is here.

Nice. Thanks for the reply on that. Have you tried this? Waiting on Verizon to open to confirm they will do this for me (seeing that I am not a Verizon customer).

9. macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure it can be used on AT&T's network. What I want to know is if you can use HSPA+ 4G and LTE. Anyone know for sure?

10. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

i think it will only run 4G HSPA+ since verizon LTE is on a different frequency as ATT LTE, so NO... the only matching LTE (when it comes this year) is tmobile and ATT.

11. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

It will only run on 4G, not LTE, and it won't be locked or disabled on Verizon's network.

12. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

this is unless you buy a factory UNLOCK iPhone from Apple.

13. macrumors 6502

So in terms of speed, it is basically equivalent to the 4S? (cellular of course, not processing, etc.)

Thanks.

14. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

in paper, yes and no...
    yes because they are both running 4G frequency but it also depends on your provider 4G speed in your area.

no because ip5 has a faster internal specs like processor and ram it will process slightly faster performance wise than iphone 4s

15. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

Actually, there are varying degrees of "unlocked." Verizon, from what I understand, "unlocks" their phones only for GSM carriers outside of North America. So, you can take your Verizon iPhone 5 to Europe and use it on a GSM carrier, but not on AT&T or T-Mobile US.

Sprint does the same thing. You can ask to unlock an iPhone on their network, but they will only unlock for international travel.

The OP needs to be very careful. I don't think he'll be able to do what he wants to do here, because that Verizon iPhone 5 might not work on AT&T like he expects it to.

16. macrumors 68040

Appl3FTW

well if it's the verizon ip5 that was released here... those were verified that they work on Att/Tmobile. so yea they work.