Buying Verizon iPhone from Verizon vs. from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jekjones1558, Jan 19, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I am an AT&T customer who is experiencing many dropped calls so I will be switching to Verizon. It seems like it would be easier to port my number and my husband's number from AT&T to Verizon if I bought the service, a different non-smart phone for hubby and an iPhone for me all from Verizon via a phone call. Or can I just as easily do most of that at the Apple Store? (I obviously would still have to get hubby's phone from a Verizon store.) Would there be any difference in service for my iPhone (in case of problems) if I bought from Verizon? Could I still bring the iPhone to an Apple Store for warranty work?
    When I got my AT&T iPhone I switched from Verizon and made 2 stops--1 at AT&T booth, the other at Apple Store. It would be nice to avoid the chaos at the Verizon and Apple Stores but I am willing to wait a few days after the Feb. 10 launch if it is better in the long run.
    TIA for any advice.

2. macrumors regular

yearofthe

I'd rather Best Buy.

3. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I don't know if Best Buy will be carrying the Verizon iPhone right away, but either Apple or Verizon stores should be a one-stop shop for you. The need to bounce between Apple and AT&T stores is long over unless you have extenuating circumstances.

4. macrumors member

I would order online from verizon. They always have a coupon running for free overnight shipping, and they always ship out right away. I've always gotten my orders/replacements next morning after ordering.

5. macrumors regular

Authorized Resellers will receive the Verizon iPhone 30 days after release. i.e. March 10th.

6. macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I assumed as much. I doubt all the little Vz outlets will be packing the iPhones any time soon. Will they have to honor the $199 $299 price structure? I would think apple probably has that as part of their agreement to sell with Vz.

I don't know who buys their phones in the little authorized retailer stores because they sell their products for so much more than from Verizon.com. A droid X costs $70 more if I go into the store rather than the website. I guess they hope for enough people not competent enough to compare prices.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

What about warranty work if I have problems with the iphone? Can I still go to an Apple Store, just as if I bought it there, if I buy the iPhone from Verizon? And can I buy Apple Care from Verizon or do I buy that separately from Apple?

8. macrumors regular

I am assuming that Apple will still sell the Care Plan and would handle the warranty.

9. macrumors 68020

It might be a better idea to order the phones via Verizon's web site. I don't know if you're looking to switch over to on Feb. 10th, but I'm sure both Apple and Verizon stores will be a complete mad house. Plus, like others have mentioned, VZW typically runs free overnight shipping. So unless you want the face-to-face experience (in addition to probably waiting in line), I would suggest ordering online.

10. macrumors regular

Is this to be found on the site or is it a promo code?

11. macrumors 6502a

Who likes to order something and wait?? Go to the verizon store and buy both of the phones. Exspeically with porting numbers, i would rather do that with someone who i can physically deal with.. ANd yea, if theirs a problem you can still go the apple store if you have any problems

12. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am sure there will be a disconnect with Verizon and Apple as there was with AT&T, but I bought mine from both Apple and AT&T for the family and didn't have an issue either way, so I would say go to Apple.