Buying with or without a superdrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Jul 26, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I have read a little about an "easter egg" hack thing that allows iDVD to burn DVDs to external DVD burners...

Questions-
    1) why doesn't idvd just let you burn to an external superdrive (lol)

2) what is an easter egg

3) where do you get this hack

4) how do you preform this hack thing

5) Would someone please step by step explain how to do this

6) If i understand this whole process what kind of DVD-Burner should i get

Thanks ALOT to all who reply (this hack could save me some $$$ :))

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

1) Because Apple sucks and wants you to spend $200 extra to buy their slower, feature-less DVD burner

2) An undocumented feature, that if is not useful or is annoying is called a bug

6) ohh la la!

as for 3, 4 and 5 try searching the fourms.

3. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

The new G5 comes with a superdrive that can be firwmare upgraded to Dual layer.

You may also buy this drive online.. I found one on e-bay

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Save some money on the superdrive and get an external one, musicpyrite posted the best one.

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

So with the one musicpyrate mentioned, all you do is plug it in via firewire and then you can burn??? Will this work on a PB G4 rev c???

6. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

If you're buying a G5, why not just get the superdrive upgrade? It's only $100 more, and it's 8x...seems worth it to me since you'd be paying for an external one anyway.

EDIT...I thought you were pricing a new Mac...nevermind.

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yes. Lacie products are specifically designed to work easily with Macs. (and PCs)

All you do is plug it in via firewire 400 or 800 and put in a recordable CD or DVD, you should see a CD or DVD icon on your desktop, then just drag all your data to the CD or DVD and drag the CD or DVD to the trash, and it will burn. (of course you could always use Toast, witch comes with this DVD burner)

8. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I alwas liked external DVD/RW drives, with my experiance they seem to work better. I have a LAN and i have had some problems with enternal DVD's, it could be my luck thou. If you get an external DVD you can take it to another computer or even with your laptop, its a better investment.

9. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

That because Apple doesn't want to have to pay the MPEG licence fee to do so.

There is the Sony DRU-700A that can burn DVD±R, DVD±RW at X8, furthermore, it allows you to burn in dual layer which push the capacity of a DVD to 8.5Gig (with a dual layer dvd that is). I think Roxio is going to release soon a new version of Toast that allow you to burn in Dual Layer. Time to time Fry's have it with rebate at $130.

Just do a search on Google, you will find a tons of them.

10. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Yes, after you apply the hack :cool:

11. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Care to elaborate? How does only allowing certain drives work with iDVD save on licensing fees?

I built my own PC, do I have to pay licensing fees because I bought a DVD-R?