Buying WoW for the first time

Discussion in 'Games' started by BGAYLOR07, Jan 20, 2007.

1. BGAYLOR07 macrumors member

This may be a stupid question, but I am planning on buying WoW and also the expansion BC. I have read that there is an multithreaded GL update that helps the performance on OS X. If I buy the game new from the Apple store will it include the update or do I install that separately from the WoW site? Thanks for your help. :)

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

WoW should auto-patch it once WoW is installed. WoW updates itself through its own interface.

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

If you can, buy it from a real store to save on shipping. Otherwise just download the game. It's legal. You have to pay to just start it up anyway... ;)

But don't get BC right away unless you want to make an elf or draeni or something.

4. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

So to play WOW with the expansion you need the original game and the expansion?

5. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Yep, you need to pay for both (how you get them (download, retail, etc.) doesn't matter as long as you PAY, which you'll find is Blizzard's main interest).

If they follow in the traditional MMORPG footsteps, they'll introduce a combo package which has both the core game and the expansion, but they will wait to introduce that until the "I've gotta have it NOW!" people pay full retail for the core and expansion.

6. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

well thats a rip off. i was only half interested in starting to play again and this made the decision easy. no. but maybe if they release a $40 all in one.

7. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Just wait for them to drop the expansion price to like 20$
    The base game went for 40-some$ there for a while, now you can get it for 20ish$
    They are gonna get as much cash out of the new release/race/professions/areas/etc as they can, after excitement dies down, they will lower price to 20$
    :)
    Plus you not buying the game means one less Blood Elf I have to fight over for quest items :)