buzzing sound in my G4 tower...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by burritos, Feb 3, 2003.

1. burritos macrumors member

Got a G4 400 tower, and I've recently been hearing a low pitch buzzing sound coming from my mac. Computer works fine and all. Could this be the fan? Is there any basic steps I should do, or should I just take it in to a store to get it checked?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Fan or transformer, hope you dont let to many dust bunnies accumulate in there!

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

is it... a bee?

hehe, ab fab fans will get that...

i'd also guess power supply, can you open it up to help isolate the location of the sound?

pnw

4. burritos thread starter macrumors member

i should open it up the tower while the computer is on?

nm

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: i should open it up the tower while the computer is on?

Is that a nevermind 'I fixed it' or is that a 'It doesn't matter nothing much' ?

6. burritos thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry, it means

no message, that my question was in the subject line, and I had no further additonal comment. I opened my tower and removed the dust bunnies, but it's still buzzing. It was suggested that I open the tower to locate the buzzing, but is it okay to open the tower while the computer is on?

7. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Of course. As long as you're not disconnecting cables and shaking the hard drives like crazy, you should be fine. A lot of people on the PC side run their computers without a case at all! they just have the motherboard sitting on a table with the cd roms and hard drives stacked up beside it.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Static, etc etc, don't touch anything on the board... should be obvious... the case was designed to be opened during usage, for what purpose is still unclear (to me at least)... can be handy in this situation...

don't hit the reset button with your nose while you're putting your ear to different parts!

:)
    pnw

9. burritos thread starter macrumors member

I opened the tower up with it on.

Looks like the sound is coming from the transformer(that's the device where the power plug connects to right?) Any other suggestions? Do I need to get this replaced? The buzzing is really annoying and it fluctuates between loud and louder.

10. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

That's the power supply. It contains a transformer, but a frequent problem with power supplies is the fan. Put your hand near the fan intake when it starts making buzzing noises, does the it feel like there's no air current there? if there isn't it's your fan that's acting up.

11. burritos thread starter macrumors member

Yeah..

the computer starts quietly, but after a few minutes it starts buzzing. I don't feel much air. Any suggestions?

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

You basically have two options:

1) replace the power supply but that'll cost you unless you're still on some kind of warranty. I would guess $40-100 for a new one. At least that's how much a decent ATX power supply costs for PCs

2) buy a system fan for $5 and install it yourself. It's a little bit more difficult, but you can always get someone else who knows what their doing to do it for you.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There's also a good chance that the powersupply fan is loaded with dust. It's a very common problem and few people realize that the powersupply is the most important part of the computer to clean the dust out of. Dust on a fan will cause it to work harder due to increased air resistance also it adds weight to the blades and can also be on the blades unevenly causing it to be unbalanced.

14. burritos thread starter macrumors member

so this is what I ended up doing...

I took my tower to the Apple Store in Northridge, CA. The fan on the power supply was busted and the whole system had to be replaced. The part was 200 bucks, plus 85 for labor. The guy told me it would definitely be cheaper for me to go to a reseller, but I didn't feel like driving around all day to see if I could save 50 bucks. It was nice that they could fix it in less than 2 hours(I was worried that I was gonna have to leave it there for a week or so). They finished the repair as I watched 'Shanghai Knights'(not as good as 'Shanghai Noon'btw). I know that I probably got ripped, but I feel that if it supports Apple, it can't be all that bad. Thanks for all the help.

15. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

ouch! you really DID get ripped. The last time I had that problem, I just replaced the whole powersupply for $60CAN (about $40US). It took about 15 minutes to install too. Well, at least Apple got very good profit margins on your transaction ;)

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: so this is what I ended up doing...

Holy florking shnit! You found something that is marked up higher than Apple's RAM! ;)

Hey, but it's fixed and that's what counts.

Lethal

17. couch potato macrumors regular

just some advice. next time you open your case while its on, be sure to put your finger in anything thats moving, such as a fan:D its an interesting experience