Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxlind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Iowa
My new iPhone 7 Plus (128GB, Black) has an odd buzzing / static sound coming from it. Specifically, if I put my ear up to the back of the phone where the apple logo is, I can hear the battery or processor or something “working”… note the sound file attached.

Attachments

• iPhone 7 Plus - Buzz.m4a.zip
    200.9 KB · Views: 3,733

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
My new iPhone 7 Plus (128GB, Black) has an odd buzzing / static sound coming from it. Specifically, if I put my ear up to the back of the phone where the apple logo is, I can hear the battery or processor or something “working”… note the sound file attached.
Dead silence. It's in your head.

Reactions: Qbnkelt

liorgr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Nope, not charging. I thought maybe at first it was just the phone overworking itself during an iCloud restore (it got pretty hot too)... but the noise is still there.

I have the exact same issue! same model too, iPhone 7 plus, 128GB Black!

I will go to the store soon see what they have to say.

I hear it from the front speaker too /:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sha58 and rv0005

Stereo

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Likely bad ground, take it back.

Edit: Just placed the back of my iPhone 7 to my ear and I'm getting the same noise. Sounds like the internals working? It's not from the speakers. It's possible this is normal operation sound for the 7s...

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

Foose

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Same here. And also the top half of the phone on the back gets pretty hot when charging. After those exploding Note7. Fingers cross this is not that lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ancpratt and rv0005

liorgr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I just came back from the Apple Store.

They had no idea what it is and what could it be (not surprising as this phones just came out today), so they ordered a replacement phone for me /:

They could reproduce the issue easily. Also I noticed that when turning on the phone you can hear it very well, I guess because of the extra processing that is being done while booting the device.

Kind of disappointed they don't have a few in stock for cases like this, but on the other hand it sounds like an issue more common than 1 damaged phone. so I hope that if it is a faulty batch or something like that so the wait my pay off and by the time I get my replacement phone it will be fixed.

Reactions: jumplittlechloe

Sgall123

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I've had the exact same thing with my 7plus in rose gold... tried numerous restores & recovery modes but nothing... I've boxed it back up & will take it back to apple when.. most annoying

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I am not sure its even an issue....from what I gather it sounds like the phone processing similar to a computer.

Reactions: bnekic

aj8690

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Columbus, OH, USA
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I got my new iPhone 7 Plus in Black (at&t) this morning. I noticed it when I was testing out the new speakers. I put my ear up to the top speaker while the sound was at the lowest setting and it seemed like there was static coming from the speaker. But after playing around with it a little more, it's definitely not from the speaker. Like mentioned, I hear it the loudest when I put my ear up to the top-right of the back of the phone (the side opposite the cameras. The noise is there regardless of charging or not charging and regardless of phone being locked or unlocked. The noise gets louder (or the frequency changes?) and fluctuates depending on what you're doing but it's always there. It was also there when I tested my phone call, but the noise was reduced and not too noticeable. Placing phone in Airplane mode reduces the noise quite a bit it is still there. The noise seems more prominent when doing something processor-intensive or data-intensive.

Everything else about the phone works perfectly. I have been using it all day and it has behaved. Very fast, very responsive, fast LTE and Wi-Fi downloads. There are no other defects as far as I can tell. You can't hear the noise unless you put your ear close enough to the phone, but it's just really strange. It was hard enough to get a black 7 Plus on launch day, and now to try and get a replacement that might do the same thing? I don't know if it's worth it. I wonder if it could possibly be something funky with the modem firmware or something else that could be corrected via a software update?

I know that obviously a phone should not be emitting strange noise from internal parts, but I don't want to exchange it if a lot of these phones are doing the same thing. Obviously I'm not the only one, and there's probably even more who don't even realize it since you have to listen closely. I guess I'll wait a few days and see if more come out stating they're having the same issue. Maybe Apple will address it if it's widespread enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.