By default the 5200 is not used by core image

Discussion in 'macOS' started by csubear, Jun 15, 2005.

1. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

This little tech note:

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2005/qa1416.html

Says that while the 5200 is core image capable of doing core image stuff, it is not used by default. They note that doing core image things in the cpu is faster than doing it in the 5200..

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Well... and that card was the default grfx card in all iMac G5s and lower-end PowerMac G5's :rolleyes:

Even more reason for Apple never to have used that card.

3. brap macrumors 68000

Now that is curious... because Quartz 2D Extreme certainly gave my 2D performance a boost (12" rev.c Powerbook).

Is there a plist I can check to confirm this?

edit: OK, did the quickest, easiest test I could think of; run Quartz composer for a while and watch temperatures, with ThermographX. With viewer active, GPU temp rose 4 degrees in less than a minute. Close viewer, do something else... returns to normal. Reopen viewer, behaviour is repeated.

So... *shrug*. Look like it is being used, here at least.

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

my 5200 does all the coreimage ripple effects etc... whats this all about??

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The 5200 is CoreImage compatible, but the tech note describes the fact that using the GPU of the 5200 could actually be slower than leaving it all to the CPU only.

The ripple effect will work, and Quartz 2D will be in effect (if enabled by hand).

This is the interesting part: (from the linked note):
    "Note: By default, Core Image uses the CPU for rendering on systems with a GeForce 5200 series card because, for most benchmarks, the 5200 can be slower than the CPU on currently shipping hardware."

Attached Files: