Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I can't believe I'm doing great works with this replacements! I just want to share that I was an Adobe CS user since I graduate from College as a Graphic Artist back in 1992 and this year I decided to stop paying lot's of money for creative apps. So, I close my eyes and jump the App Store wagon looking for alternatives and I've been doing great since then. My clients are happy and none of the printshops noticed the absence of my Adobe CS creations tools. This is amazing !

Any one with the same results?

UPDATED:
This is how my Suite looks today.

CS.jpg

Last edited:

Stephen73

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
Congrats - me too

I'm about to subscribe to Adobe's Cloud service, but before doing so, I've been experimenting with alternatives as well.

PhotoShop and Dreamweaver are easy to replace. I've chosen Pixelmator and Flux, though Expresso, Coda and Freeway are also awesome Dreamweaver alternatives (though I just couldn't get my head around Freeway, I need to try it out again).

Add Strata Design 3D SE ($50) and you've got a fully fledged 3D app (without animation) to complete the PhotoShop's [weak] offering. (Adobe really should've kept Dimensions going instead of building it into Illustrator & PhotoShop as a plug-in module)

Final Cut X, Motion and Aperture totally replace Premier, After Effects and Lightroom and still work out cheaper.

iDraw seems to be the best illustrator alternative, but unfortunately it feels like a toy aimed at consumers rather than a tool for professionals.

There are dozens of PDF editors & viewers out there so no shortage here.

The real problem is InDesign. Absolutely nothing [cheaper] compares to it, though I see you're using Swift – how's that working for you? (I figured Pages was about as powerful.)

I hope Adobe is noticing this. It might just light a fire under their bums to sort out their bugs, bloatware, overlap of features, inconsistent interfaces and huge pricing.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
For webdesign (which is what I work on) I've gone completely Adobe free.

For design/wireframes - Sketch
For image manipulation - Pixelmator
For code - Espresso / CodeKit
For the occasional vector art - iDraw

My whole workflow is much better now (not to mention cheaper) than it was before.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
For webdesign (which is what I work on) I've gone completely Adobe free.

For design/wireframes - Sketch
For image manipulation - Pixelmator
For code - Espresso / CodeKit
For the occasional vector art - iDraw

My whole workflow is much better now (not to mention cheaper) than it was before.

Love it!

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
I wish they added Autosave/Versions on iDraw. With manual saving and lack of versioning, it just doesn't feel right.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
iDraw seems to be the best illustrator alternative, but unfortunately it feels like a toy aimed at consumers rather than a tool for professionals.

Wrong. Please buy the app, it is obvious you don't know the app. It is a great alternative. also Sketch 2 is a very popular app that it's way better.

The real problem is InDesign. Absolutely nothing [cheaper] compares to it, though I see you're using Swift – how's that working for you? (I figured Pages was about as powerful.)

Well I need to be honest here, When I switch from Adobe to Mac Apps I already had designed the magazines, brochure and ads for my clients. Every year they change a little bit but the core is still the same, the Magazines are done already as Masters and I just work on adding content. Saying that I can't tell how difficult or easy is to create a magazine from scratch. but my Quark files and my inDesign files opened with iSwift (I bought Publishing Studio too because I wasn't able to open other works and someone told me Publishing Studio would help and it did! Some masked pics I needed to re-do them and some fonts where messed up. but it was not that bad. it works well and the costumer service is great and very gelpful!

Note: Quark and InDesigns files needed to be exported in appropriate formats first. Other than that work fine!

----------

I wish they added Autosave/Versions on iDraw. With manual saving and lack of versioning, it just doesn't feel right.

yep. I miss that too. but no that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.