Bye, bye free and open internet

Discussion in 'Community' started by drastik, Dec 20, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    Anyone now how to encrypt everything you do?

kidding, kidding.

Really though, monitoring the internet cannot be a strictly American afair. This will have huge implications. Theinternet is not a national entity, it is effectively a free state. I could be anywhere writting this, but it will be routed through US servers, so it would fall under this provision. I wonder how the rest of the world will respond to this. If one were to know what they were doing, and have good code breakers (I think the government probably has this covered) unresticted access like this could allow spying on anyone anywhere on the globe.
  2. 3777 macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2002
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    It definitely will if there is another attack on our soil, especially if its computer related!
  4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    then that would reflect the gov's general lack of understanding of technology and their partiality to big biz... would it really be worth making palladium-like facilities manditory? if so, then one could easily argue that the "terrorists" would have "won"
  5. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2001
    I can't believe government is wasting resources to fight viruses!!! Instead they should tell people to get a Mac! :D
  6. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Bad for the USA, Good for other places.

The provision hinges on the data in question routing or, more often residing on servers that are physically within the USA. Because something in the order of 90% of the internet resides or is transient on US Servers it makes monitoring easy.

There are a few countries with a very lucrative oppertinity right under their noses: Canada, Britain, Switzerland and a few others have some form or other of "Data Sovereignty" rights built into their core documents.

The Canadian Constitution is quite explicit in stating that Data, no matter what it's format is given the same protection that the USA only applies to the Federal Mail system. In short: the first group of Geeks to set up a "Virtual Bank" of servers designed to hold encrypted Data and financial information for extra-nationals will soon have more cash than Bill Gate$ and the Catholic Church combined.

Because so much of the very concept of money is now reflected entirely on relativistic value statements unrelated to the face value of currency, securing other people's financial data will be the new Banking Boom with non-financial critical-data storage tagging along as "Virtual Safe-Deposit" boxes. The critical element is the physical location and connection of the server farms themselves. The USA and it's infrastructure must be avoided or marginalized to make such a system work (and I know how!). :D ;)