BYEBYE Rev A PB 12in

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PBGPowerbook, May 4, 2005.

1. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

I have had soooo many problems with my powerbook (12/867)...In january the HD was making noise. 3 Apple Geniuses told me it was toast, but I sent it in and they said the Airport card needed re-seating, that was causing the hardware problems. Worked fine til yesterday when I got a system freeze. Won't restart, can only boot off the Panther disc, and disk utility can't make repairs. Oh yeah and the HD sounds like it has a half cup of gravel spinning around in it. Did Apple miss something in January, or am i just SOL?

I always thought the HD on these machines was poorly protected from the outside shell...whatever

2. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

What is your history with the PB? Did you buy it new or used?

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

If your hard drive sounds like that then its done for. You are going to need a new drive, no question about it.

4. PBGPowerbook thread starter macrumors regular

bought it new June 2003...really annoying, I hoped this computer would last me more than 2 years. Yes I know I can get the HD replaced but then we're getting into Mac Mini price territory anyway. Just sucks, I'm a student and I've lost a lot of important work.

5. zach macrumors 65816

zach

The comment about the mini price range isn't true: if you install the HD yourself, you can find one for under 100 dollars most likely.

6. Redline13 macrumors 6502

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Didn't you back up your work when you sent it in to Apple?

And also, Disk Utility should display a "S.M.A.R.T. Status:" when you open it so you can tell if it really is dying or not.

Sucks to hear though...

8. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Unlucky Buddy.
    Had my PB G3 Pismo for nearly 5 years now no HD problems here! (Though this is a replacement machine for one with a bad Grachics card!)
    Just one of the unlucky ones i guess! usually if a HD is bad, it will go wrong under warranty if at all!
    Hope you find a solution to fix it!
    There should be some way of recovering data, if it's very important it's worth the money....

It's only a computer!

9. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Check newegg.com on HD prices.

PBfixit has a tutorial on replacing the HD in the 12". Here is the linky.

By the way, it's not as hard as it looks. I've disassembled my G3 iBook to fix a display problem, and there's so many hoops you have to jump through just to access the HD. The 12", OTOH, shouldn't be that bad.