Byodkm

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dwd3885, Mar 1, 2006.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Why in the world do you still not get the keyboard and mouse with the mini? If it's designed as no more a switcher machine, but a media center machine, then what, you going to control everything with the remote? Not since the outrageous prices for the keyboard and mouse anyway. GEEZ

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The whole point is that it's a drop in replacement for a persons current PC. I quite like the fact that i didn't get an Apple mouse or wired keyboard that i'd never use.

Although i can see your point about increasing the price and not including these.

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Every time I see this... I think... "Bring your own damn keyboard and mouse."

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It really isn't a big deal, I don't understand why people have issues with BYODKBM...it's not as if getting a keyboard/mouse is difficult or expensive.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It would be nice if Apple sold some cheaper monitors so that they could offer bundled systems, but that's not really the way Apple tends to do things. It does seem like an odd idea that someone buying a mini who's unwilling to shell out for a 20" Apple monitor can't get a complete system at an Apple store.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Maybe, but if they sold a cheap display for the Mini they'd be competing directly with the iMac. Cheap LCDs are a dime a dozen and the competition is so fierce Apple would be handily beaten on price by any one of a number of no-name vendors.

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i think its more of a marketting gimick. they can say BYODKM, and it just works! so does word! and excel and the internet and all that other stuff PC ppl often think doesnt work on macs!

8. briangig macrumors regular

glad i'm not alone :D

9. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

My keyboard and mouse are PS/2. Guess I'm pwned.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And a dual PS/2 to USB convertor can be bought almost anywhere for $6-15.

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

what the hell does pwned mean? its not even a word. we use words here on the macrumors forums.

12. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

Wow someone is a bit touchy today. Go PMS elsewhere.

13. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Coming out with a 17-incher for $499 would be a good idea... especially if it had a buillt-in iSight.

14. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

dude you didnt even answer my question. do you even know?

15. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

pwned = owned

but i guess its kinda dorky, but still its widely used everywhere. I don't know how it started, or why, but it just exists.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's a misspelling of the work "owned". It eventually caught on in internet slang and is now misspelled widely as "pwned".

Still the PS/2 to USB adapter exists. I have several at work that we got for under $10 generic. I've seen them at Wal Mart too.

17. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

Hmmm......yeah........good job. Anyways, not like I'm going to buy a Mac Mini, but I do think its a flaw in the idea with just being able to plugin a keyboard and mouse out of the box. I actually prefer PS/2 over USB. I feel its more responsive, and I've never had a PS/2 port burn out.

Edit - Still having to buy an adaptor for as much as a new keyboard or mouse....

18. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

<annoying stupid internet phenomenon>
    it might be mpre resppnsive, but it might be the mpuse acceleratipn thing that OSX dpes (i cant tell the difference but spme swear it pwns their prpductivity). and ive never had a ps/2 pprt burn put either (and have had USB pprts die), but i think ypu sacrifice a little reliability fpr the plug-and-playness pf USB.</annoying stupid internet phenomenon>

19. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

How does a windows keyboard work in MacOS anyways? Does the windows key become your command key?

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, the Windows key becomes the Command key. It's just slightly annoying having it swapped with Alt though.

21. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

every key works, but theres some quirks. like the windows key becomes cmd and the alt key becomes alt/option. so theyre switched. theres an app called doublecommand that modifies your keyboard kext to switch them (and do other stuff like change the enter key on the 'books to option, make shift+backspace into forward delete, etc)

edit:
    [​IMG]