Bypass admin password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LggN, May 27, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

LggN

I cannot install anything on my computer because my dad put restrictions on it. I can install things, only if I had the password. I did some googling, and I found this:

Is this safe? I do not want to mess my mac up, because if my dad finds out I was trying to create a new account to install stuff, I will be screwed. Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 68020

Xavier

Your dad probably put the password on the computer for a reason.

Why not just ask him to install whatever software you need to have installed?

This command "tricks" your computer into thinking that it has never been run before. It will run through the initial setup that every new Mac owner does when first using the computer.

If you run this, it will run through the set up and there will be another account with administrator access.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

LggN

I understand. Well could this cause any damage to my mac?

4. macrumors newbie

Always a chance that you will need to do a clean install and backup to fix a problem. If you have a time machine backup, ultimately everything is reversible.

5. macrumors newbie

I'm on a school issued computer and I want to get past the administrator password. I want to know if you tried this and if it had an effect on any of the other users/settings or if everything remained the same.

6. macrumors 601

I would not recommend you do this in hardware that is not owned by you. Bypassing security restrictions is probably not something they allow you to do.

7. macrumors 6502a

poobear

8. macrumors newbie

Okay, then if I try it on my family's Mac and get rid of my mom's restrictions, would it cause any of problems that I listed earlier?

9. macrumors 604

You should be prepared to deal with your family if you wreck it. I doubt mom will be happy if you screw up a $1000+ laptop so you can play more games.