Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerseyjeff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Hi - some guy left his G4 powerbook at the company without the password after he quit. I have been trying to open it up without the pw, but so far have only limited luck. It is running OS X 10.3.9. Anyhow, I tried starting up in Apple Script, holding down command-s, and I am able to open the window. I can complete system startup but once the system is started, I don't get any further response. The closest I came is that I can open up the hard drive if I connect it to a host G5 of mine, and start up holding down T, and then I get the hard drive to appear on the host screen. I can open the hard drive, see the files etc, but I cannot get into system prefs and create a new account and make it the admin. I can see everything on there, but I don't see how to change access. I can boot up the host computer on the powerbooks HD but it still wants the password which I don't got. I want to be able to get in and change the pw from the current one so I can use this. Any ideas? Thanks. -jj:(

jerseyjeff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
bypass login GUI

Put in Tiger dvd while hoding down 'C' key. That is, unless you need his data.:eek:

I tried firing it up with the G5 install disk, but when the page opened I got a message that said "You can't install software on this machine" Of course I wasn't trying to install, I was just trying to boot it up. I thought because it was a G5 install disk, that was the problem, but I was told that should work. It doesn't. I also tried a 9.2 install disk and that didn't work either.

jerseyjeff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
bypass GUI login

I tried firing it up with the G5 install disk, but when the page opened I got a message that said "You can't install software on this machine" Of course I wasn't trying to install, I was just trying to boot it up. I thought because it was a G5 install disk, that was the problem, but I was told that should work. It doesn't. I also tried a 9.2 install disk and that didn't work either.

I know I could just go out and by a new So Dimm and put that in, but I was trying to avoid losing all the data and also the expense.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Boot from a retail Panther or Tiger disk and you can change the password. You don't need to reinstall, you can change the password without loosing data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.