byrd: Unprepared for Peace in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 27, 2003.

1. macrumors 601

zimv20

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A45132-2003Aug25?language=printer

2. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: byrd: Unprepared for Peace in Iraq

I've never been much of a fan of Byrd, but I think his speech is quite helpful and lays out the right choices to get us out of this quagmire. Bush's quote should be replayed for him every morning before he meets with Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz.

3. macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm not much of a fan of "Pork Barrel" Byrd myself either, but his staff sure knows how to write a fiery speech. The one he put out just prior to the war was as good as well.

4. thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i recall byrd being the sole senator to stand up and ask the really hard questions before the war. i give him great props for that. too bad he's a dying breed.

5. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yes, you are right. He is one of the last Grand Dragon's of the KKK that still serve in our government. He is a biggot, and a racist piece of filth.

People like that man have no place in our society, but yet they do. It is sad.

6. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

And Rep Ford (D) from Tenessee just recently returned from Iraq, and said that the situation is not out of control, and that the troops are being met as liberators, and that the media, and select members of Congress are using the troops as political chips, and it is wrong.

Now, Ford is an honorable man, and I would vote for him.

7. macrumors 68040

Ah, Robert Byrd, the Strom Thurmond of the Democrat party. He's old, a little crazy, a bigot and will stay in office until he dies. :p

8. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Why? Because he tells you what you wants to hear?

9. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Nasty words from an Alabama man... quite a few of your politicians are/were much more actively racist than Byrd.

Byrd was never a Grand Dragon, and while he may once have been a racist bigot, can you show me something that proves he still is?

10. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Easy there tigger. I know quite a few of the people that serve in the state government here, an none are racist. We had a rough past here, but we have moved beyond it. People here (black and white) get along better with each other, and have more respect for one another than any other place that I have lived in here in the US.

As for Byrd.

"When Trent Lott said a silly thing that could have been interpreted as saying something he didn’t say … you had a full case of 'conniptions.' I'm no fan of Trent Lott, just a fan of hanging men ONLY for the crimes they actually commit!

Conversely, when Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd, former Grand Dragon of the American Knights of the Klu Klux Klan, used the vile 'N' word on TV, nary a word, much less outcry, was observed from the fourth estate. Remarkable."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/5/6/141519.shtml

Yea, he was a grand dragon, and I am sorry, people with that much hate, do not just give that hate up. People have basic structure. Beliefs, attitudes, and values. Values are the most difficult to change. Do I think he did? No, he did not.

11. thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

if he's really that bad a person, then how sad is it that he was the only one in the senate to stand up and passionately ask if invading iraq was truly the only recourse left?

voting for killing iraqis for the actions of saudis is, in my book, racist.

12. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Voting to kill those that would kill you is not racist, it covering your ass. ;)

13. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well I can see this thread going nowhere worthwhile in a hurry. Moderator, please lock this thread before it gets completely out of hand.

14. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Why would you say that. We are all getting along.

15. macrumors 6502a

simX

Sheesh, what has an Iraqi ever done to you? Blatantly labeling all Iraqis as "those that would kill you" is SUCH a non-racist statement. :rolleyes:

16. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

OMG, I did not say all Iraqi's. Everyone here knew what was meant. Did we slaughter the Iraqi nation? No. We went after a targeted group of people that were a threat to the world, and our nation.

And the ;) at the end of the post showed it was in jest anyway.

17. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, we've been doing pretty well lately, which is why I expressed the concern that this thread seemed poised to devolve into name-calling. We don't need to go there again. Besides, the entire Byrd-Lott thing has been done to death already.

18. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I will agree with that. If anyone took offense to what I said I am sorry, but it was in jest.

19. macrumors 6502a

simX

:shrug: If you meant it that way, it sure didn't seem like it to me. You didn't qualify your statement, and you were quoting zimv20 whose reference subject was "iraqis", so I had no reason to believe that you were saying anything else. Plus, it's not like an ;) makes everything right -- one could interpret my :rolleyes: as a sign of jest, too.

Of course, then there's always the debate about whether the Saddam regime was really a threat to the world and to our nation, to which I would respond with a resounding "No." But that's just my minority opinion. :rolleyes: