C-a-r-d-s!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bobdude161, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

WOOOOOO yeah!!! Louisville Cards are gonna be ranked third in the college football rankings!! If you were watching the game on ESPN, they showed stats of Americans in each state on who they thought which team would win. The map showed blue in all states (except Kentucky) which meant everyone was thinking that West Virginia would win.

BoooYAH!!! I laugh in your faces you people living in those 49 states! Louisville is here to stay and is gonna take that championship, fo sho!

Welcome to The Ville.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I thought this was a late World Series thread.

And I laugh in the faces of people living in Kentucky. I drove through it, and if I had to put up with living in a state where everyone did 45mph in the fast lane on the interstate and refused to move, I'd probably shoot myself :D

3. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

USA Today says it all

:rolleyes: pfffft :D

bah! You can't know a state just by driving down it's freeways or watching someone from KY on a reality show (overblown stereotypes). Yes, Kentucky may be riddled with rednecks but we got some common sense, nam sayin? That's how we get through these games, common sense.

BTW anyone going to watch the Breeders Cup over on Church Hill Downs?

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Alright, Bobdude161. I'll grant you your team looked impressive against WV, though I always have difficulty routing for Luavull since the Denny Crump, basketball days. (Memphis Tiger's baskeball fan back then.)

Now, watching the thoroughbreds run on the track is, indeed, a beautiful thing. And be careful not to look past Rutgers at Rutgers.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Somehow I thought someone living in Louisville would know how to spell the name of the world-famous racetrack. ;)

It was definitely a good game..I've got acquaintances on both sides, so it was fun to watch.

6. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Louisville is d@mn good, no argument. But I came away from the game feeling that were it not for the Slaton fumble (returned for TD) and the lousy special teams play (punt returned for TD), WVU probably would've won.

hats off to the Cards, though.

EDIT: I guess I should point out that I'm a WVU alumnus. Losing sucks, but a game this big is good for the conference which means that in the long term it benefits us both. Props to Louisville, again. Fine team.

7. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

First off all, they are a good team. They beat my canes, and they whupped on WVU. But come on, realistically I think they have no shot against the elite programs. They have no D, and I think they do lose one game, they are gonna slip big time, something like USC going from 2-9.

8. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Yeah I was kinda disappointed with our D. There was a point in the game where Louisville kept falling for WVU's same down-the-middle plays. Every rush that WVU had, we couldn't stop. They were a train. And it was quite obvious, we're good at passing and not rushing at all. Looks like Petrino's got some work to do.

9. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I will say this - Brohm is one heck of a QB...

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

:( Thought it was an announcement of new PCI-e and ExpressCard/34 cards.

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

And we first thought it was about baseball. :) Sorry, you'll have to check out one of those antilectual threads. :D

BTW-It's good to see you back around, some Trevor.

13. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

*Sigh* I was quite upset indeed.

Before game
    Louisville: Ranked 3rd
    Rutgers: Ranked 15th

Computer said there would be a blowout. Goes to show how how the system is totally flawed, like our defense. :eek: Anyways congrats to Rutgers to your once in a lifetime win. :D And a great big sigh to our loss of our chance of competing in the nationals.

P.S. You see the USA survey this time? Everyone thought UofL would win and only West Virginia said that Rutgers would win. Goes to show how home games can change EVERYTHING.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Well, how they bounce back and, if they play out well, they'll get some respect and a good bowl game with the proper $$$, bling-bling and TV coverage. Good luck.

I'm still upset that TN coughed up their chances by losing to LSU last week. It happens.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wow.

You guys actually care about your University sports teams? The movies are right?

I don't understand it to be honest, unless you're playing in the top tier of your sport here you can expect to play in empty stadiums and fields. Makes you strong, makes you strive to compete at the top.

Nobody gives a rat's arse about high school or Uni sports and we Aussies love our sports.

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The reasons are probably a mixture of bonding experiences, regional loyalties, and in a long, distant past, an associated belief in innocence i.e. of the pure sport without the guile and contamination of $$$ driven, corruption, etc.

Nowadays that has all but morphed in to the same bottom-line, win at all cost, buy recruits under the table contaminant of what are modern day, professional sports.

So, the only logical reason why enthusiasm remains high is that there are a good many of us ol' farts who are frustrated jocks and coaches who still must project our aspirations on to a screen on most weekends. At least, that's one meager attempt at explaining the "why".

17. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

VERY strong emphasis on "regional loyalties".

We have high school games that people attend in the tens of thousands.

There are rivalries between state universities within the same state. For instance, the strongest rivalry in Kentucky is the University of Louisville (which is located in the state of Kentucky) and the University of Kentucky. Even though U of Kentucky sucks at football and Louisville creamed them in the last confrontation, there are many, many, many people loyal to U of K, not for their skills but because they take pride in their state.

I find it weird that people who find it weird realize we don't find it weird. Weird huh? Weird.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm american, but I'm fully with you on this. The obsession with college sports in the US is just nuts. it's like caring who wins the AAA championship in baseball's minor leagues.

19. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

one of the things about college sports (at least in the US) is that the quality of play is very good. College football and basketball games are generally much more exciting and much more fun to watch than their pro equivalents.

High school sports, hard to say. My high school won the state championship in football, and I went to a game or two where the attendance topped 10,000, which would have been about 1/3 of the entire town. I was in high school at the time, so I knew why I was there. Why everyone else came...who knows?

20. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

believe me, I know exactly how you feel. When your Cards beat my Mounties I was pretty low :(

but look at it like this: it's a great thing for the conference. Suppose we end the season and the Big East has 3 teams ranked in the top 10. Whatever the order of finish you've got to feel good about that. And it would go a long towards convincing Notre Dame to join us on the football field. I think both Louisville and WVU (and Rutgers, for that matter) would love to take on the Irish every year.

21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

That and a wicked fast defense and the best young running back in the nation. The better team won, I'm afraid.

Not that it matters. I mean, Boise State is going to go undefeated and not even get talked about for the national championship. You'd think they weren't even playing Division I.

22. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Actually, the quality of offenses are usually much better than that of defenses in college (baseball, basketball, football) which is why you see so many high scoring games. I would argue that this is because the quality of play (in general) is lower compared to a professional sport where generally both sides of the ball are more equal and have higher quality athletes. Its just that the scoreboard doesn't reflect that.

Need an example? Well, can't say you see many option plays in the NFL compared to college.

23. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

good point.

by quality of play, I mean that the games are more entertaining to watch. No argument that the pros feature better athletes.

actually, I had long thought that the option isn't workable in the pros for a few reasons

1) the hash marks are so close together that there is no short side and no wide side of the field. Option works best with room to run. I have noticed that since the college game moved the hashes closer together you rarely see an option offense these days, outside of the service academies. Nebraska was the last school to make it work, and that's mainly because they had the best athletes on the face of the earth.

2) your zillion-dollar quarterback is going to get creamed on every play, which is also why the run-and-shoot died a quick death. Your QB won't survive if he has to get hit on almost every down.

3) NFL defenses are just too fast. In college your tailback can (in most cases) reliably outrun the linebackers. That just isn't true in the pros. Even the linemen run close to 4.4 now.

though I did read that the Titans put in a Texas-style option for Vince Young, wherein he reads the defensive end and, depending on what happens, he pitches off to the tailback or he keeps it and runs it himself.