C A R S

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mistaT, Jul 15, 2006.

1. mistaT macrumors newbie

I've seen a few car posts here, so I'll ask you guys, for my first post, about which car is best for a high school student :)

Ok, I've got some money of my own (not my parents but mine! lol) and my big 16 bday is coming up and I'll be able to drive on my own :D Soo I need a car :)

BMW 325i
    Audi A3
    WV Rabbit (aka golf)

Also, since I have a nice amount of money, I'm going to use it for college (art school if that helps) and I was thinking should I waste 32,000 dollars on a car and than have a smaller amount on college? Or should I buy a car for 14,000 and have more for college? I think I know the answer to that, but you know, you got the money so you got to want your dream car ;) right?

So which car?
    Thanks!!!!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Heck, buy a car for $10k and save the rest for college...
    At 16, you don't need a fancy car.. you need one from getting from point A to point B.

Check carmax... then get the fancy $$$$$ car when it's time to get a new one. You don't want to total a brand new BMW because you've not had enough experience driving.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You made $32000, you're only 16, AND you have a username like "mistaT"??? I mean......"mista"....honestly. Wow.

From that list, go with a 2 door Rabbit. I'm not gonna tell you what to do with your money. The 2 door Rabbit will still be a great car for you, and won't make you look like complete tw*t.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Save your money for college!

Don't waste your money on a car. Get the cheapest reliable transportation (car) you can find.

6. CompUser Guest

I would rather have a less expensive car and not have to pay for college later. I don't know if you or your parents are paying, but why would you want to get out of college with more debt than you have to have? If I were you I would spend less than half of your budget, buy a toyota- they are cheap, reliable, and hold their value.

7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

wow, what i wouldnt give to HAVE a car. I'm a highschool student and probably wont get a car until i leave college and get out into the "real world".

YOU HAVE $#@<))))???? oops, $32,000????? wow, and i just spent all my money on a MacBook Pro

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Get a cheap car (Japanese, for the longevity)...save the rest...

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Buy a cheap car now and then get a nice car once you graduate from college and get a good job.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If I were you, I'd try to convince my parents they need a new car and "buy" their old car at a reduced price. Better to break yourself in with an older reliable car.

Driving for the most part is not about looking cool, but transportation. The kids in my high school who had their "cool" dream car almost always ended up with speeding tickets or in accidents.

If you have to get a new car, get a little low end Honda Civic (or the low end Toyota), good gas mileage and very easy and cheap to maintain.

Save all or most of your money for college, because living as a staving student is more expensive than it looks.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Save your money for after your college graduation.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I too say save the money for school and beyond.

Go for something reliable like a Honda, Toyota, or Subaru.

13. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I go to art school, ITS EXPENSIVE...my tuition is over 30K a year that doesnt even include supplies. If you plan to go to a major big name art school, they will all run you upwards of 30K a year in tuition...we havent even talked about housing, food, supplies, laptops, software...

Get a cheaper car, wtf does a college kid need a 30K car for..unless you are filthy rich, but I doubt you'd even be making this post if that was the case.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Seriously, buy a really cheap car and save the rest for college. I do not understand why rich kids waste their money on stupid stuff like cars.

15. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Mista T, I have a few issues with your post.

1. No 16 year old should have a brand new car. You're just going to end up smashing it into a tree because you think you know how to "push the limits" of your driving skill.
    1a. There is almost no way a 16 year old could earn 32K unless he deals meth or some other narcotic (which, ironically, would explain why you spelled your name "mista").

2. Have you put any thought into how often German cars break and how expensive they are to fix? If you really want a small luxury car, think Lexus IS300, Acura TL/TSX etc.

3. Have you considered how much your insurance premium is going to be with any of these cars?
    3a. You're going to have a shiny new car, and once you get to college it will be for driving to and from work 35 hours a week, only to pay for your insurance premium, leaving you with just enough money to still be broke.

4. Your fist post, on MacRumors.com is about cars.

16. CompUser Guest

I 2nd all of those points.

17. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

What in the world does the way he spell his name have to do with anything?

:confused:

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sometimes the nicks we chose says alot about ourselves. His nick does reek of "gangsta" IMO.

19. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Also what we assume about others does the exact same thing.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If he wasn't rich, then how would a 16 year old get $32000 for a car? He'd have no choice but to use all of that money on his University education in 2 years. Since he's even considering the purchase of a $32000 car, you'd think that he has options, which means him or someone else (ie: his parents), have money.

All I know is that if my parents didn't have money, and I had $32000, I'd have to use all of it on my education, or I could possibly spend around $5000 on a car.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is that a typo or a world record attempt?

22. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

A rich person wouldnt have to opt and do an either or. This person is simply a thousandaire who is trying to floss. Having 32K to spend on car does not make one rich.

Also getting an inheritance or having some sort of college fund that transfers at 18 is an easy solution to having 32K all at once. Not knowing if this person has that, but its not unrealistic for an 18 year old to have 5 figures on there way to uni.

I know plenty of rich kids, and they drive 30K cars and go to uni without pausing on which way to blow their money.

23. mpw Guest

Cheap car, good education and loads of booze.

24. medea macrumors 68030

medea

get a used scion xa or xb. you'll probably wreck the car within a few years or at least damage it so don't waste too much money.

25. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Buy a used 1985 Hyundai Pony, name it "Sheila," and you've got about $31 000 left to blow on whatever you want.