C&C Generals Demo Out

Discussion in 'Games' started by Falleron, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Command and Conquere Generals DEMO is out. What does everyone think? Its still downloading here! Its 362Mb

2. cubist macrumors 68020

3. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

4. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

demo downloading 30 min to go

I'm downloading the demo too, but I read the missions are only single player. Kinda missing the boat I think, but we'll see. WCIII's demo was multiplayer only if I recall right.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I've never heard of a Multi-player only demo (unless you count Quake3 Arena, which is all multiplayer). WCIII was a single player demo with a few missions.

6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

As I posted in the MacBytes thread, I'm downloading now. But it's going sooooo slooooooow!
    Someone needs more mirrors methinks.

AppleMatt

7. alxths macrumors 6502

A bittorrent seed would be ideal, actually... althought i'm in no particular hurry to start wasting time on this while i should be studying.

8. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

9. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

actually all of the torrents sites which i will not say are running very slowly or i am not able to access

10. evil macrumors 6502

macgamefiles is soooooo slow. i dont really want to wait 13 hours for a download to finish. when my modem is capable of doing it in a few minutes

11. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

I have a paid subscription to InsideMacGames.com. Their subscriber mirror downloaded the file in about half an hour.

12. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

Odd

Odd, I'm getting about 500 kb/sec

Attached Files:

13. alxths macrumors 6502

Well.. it's unplayable at the lowest settings on my 1Ghz, fx5200, 768 mb, PB

14. evil macrumors 6502

whoa i hope i can play it on my 1hgz emac...once its finished downloading

15. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Not very good graphics, some pretty bad frames (Dual 1 Ghz, 1.25 Gigs of Ram, 9000 Pro), and it crashes a lot. It's not just me, I've talked to another person who crashes repeatedly aswell.

16. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Aaah crap. Not good feedback.

I was hoping it was good.

I'll see how it does on my system...

17. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Yeah I've tried playing the game 3 times now, all resulting in crashes. I have a 1Ghz 15" TiBook (Radeon Mobility 9000 64MBVRAM and 768SDRAM and Panther 10.3.3. All tries results in crashes during gameplay after the unstoppable in game script during the tutorial (the one of the helos flying low attacking the starting Landing Zone).

Why should I be playing this as opposed to Warcraft 3? Which has never crashed?

No readme file has anyone figured out how to cut straight to gameplay?

18. aldo macrumors regular

Oh man. Not again.

Another crappy port of a good (nearly great) PC game.

Why the f*** can't anyone produce a good version of a PC game?!

I can play Generals on an Athlon 800mhz w/ Geforce 2 MX on medium detail at 800x600 (or low on 1024x768)... why on earth can't it be done on a higher spec mac?

19. evil macrumors 6502

it didnt crash on me. but i just was not impressed with the game at all. i dont know if i will ever play it again.

20. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Doesn't get pass splash

after the splash screen I get the black screen of death with the blue letters saying INPUT OUT OF RANGE. My monitor could handle it when it was hooked up to a PC, the graphics couldn't have jumped that much. I even tryed lower resolutions and everything. Nothing. IBM T56A monitor.

21. applekid macrumors 68020

Head to the IMG Forums. I started a thread about the demo, and we've been getting good responses so far. There seems to be a problem with the ATI graphics card. That's just my assumption, but people with ATI cards are the only one's with major problems.

My specs: 17-inch iMac, 800 MHz G4, GeForce4MX, 768 MB of RAM.

To summarize my IMG post: It runs smoothly even on high texture settings. The movies are choppy because they are high-quality QT movies. No problems except for the GLA mission which basically comes to a crawl and made me stop at the cutscene. I'm surprised how well it works considering my machine being under system requirements. Hopefully it stands true for the full version.

22. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

23. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

This game was unimpressive. It runs slowly (on my 1 GHz 15" TiBook), it crashed on me about 5 minutes into the game, and the graphics are pretty bad, in my opinion. I wouldn't mind if it didn't feel so choppy.

24. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Well, so far it has not blown me away- but it does run pretty good on my machine. (see my sig)

I set it to 1600x1200 and detail high, then I took off cloud shadows. The graphics are ok I guess and there is funny looking blocky things in the sand... weird.
    I'll have to play it more.

25. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

It runs like crap on a 1Ghz PC, so I expect it wont run well on anything less that a G5.