C&C Generals is Sluggish?

Discussion in 'Games' started by aidanpendragon, Jan 24, 2007.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

This is a lingering issue that has in fact kept me from playing C&C Generals (PPC): some units, and especially all infantry, seem to be moving sluggishly. Troops look like they're running through a pool - the animation is like in slow-mo. This may affect projectiles too - it's hard to know what the "normal" speed/play should be.

I think that when I first installed the game, it ran better than this. 2nd & subsequent plays have the kinda-sluggish, but not-in-a-stuttering-framerate sense slowdown. Have tried to turn down visual settings to no avail. I don't think it's a game-speed settings issue, as cutscenes show some of the same behavior.

I'm curious if this is just how the game is supposed to look, or if there's something else involved/going wrong. Guess I'm used to the fluidly scurrying soliders in Starcraft (and past C&C games) and expect the same here.

This is on a 2005 eMac 1.42 Ghz/1 Gig RAM/Radeon 9600 64 MB. Game is original PPC release of C&C Generals; PPC Zero Hour expansion also installed; most recent patches applied. According to Aspyr, my setup is well at/past recommended, so it should be able to handle even max settings OK, and certainly reduced ones fine.

2. nick004 macrumors regular

Fun game but poorly programmed. Think it was rushed out. Tried playing a network game, terribly slow.

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

to OP: i'm a bit inclined to say it's because you are barely above the minimum system requirement...

to nick: is it with your 2.33 MBP? did you do the updater thing to make it universal?

4. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess our definitions of "barely above" may differ. Again, I'm at 1.42 Ghz/1 Gig RAM/Radeon 9600 64 MB. Here's what Aspyr says are the "requirements" (not min.):

CPU Processor: PowerPC G4 or later
    CPU Speed: 1GHz or faster
    Memory: 256 MB or higher
    Hard Disk Space: 2.8GB free disk space
    Video Card (ATI): Radeon 7500 or better
    Video Memory (VRam): 32 MB or higher

That's 42% higher in processor speed than they ask. Aspyr Game Agent seems to think my setup's fine.

Rise of Nations, nominally less processor-intensive - but with better & more detailed graphics - runs smooth as glass. In C&C, even a lone soldier on an empty battlefield looks like he's running through a pool.

5. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

Rise of Nations

Are you running Rise of Nations on a PPC? I'm interested in buying that game, but I don't know how the performance will be. I have 2.33 Core2Duo MacBookPro.

6. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I'm betting on Generals/Zero Hour's AI engine. With a "stock" version of Zero Hour, if I had 3-4 hard AI guys on a med/big map, my G5/X800 would be sluggish compared to when I first started the game (more units on map = slower). Playing Mideast Crisis (highly advanced AI) with only one computer AI was so slow that ZH "froze" for 5-10 seconds at times. It's all how the AI is coded. Since it hogs so much processing power at times, you would think they could have made the AI system more efficient.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

That's a shame, it runs fantastically on the new iMac's with the patch to make it Intel-native, but then with that much grunt I guess one would expect it to.

Time for a new Mac ;)

8. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, PPC. It's funny how many "new" and seemingly popular games are uncertain to be ported universally. Think there's an extensive thread here on what games run well (via Rosetta?) on MBs/MBPs.

That's helpful, thanks. Although, some bits of it (units) seem to run at normal-looking speeds. You really see it in the infantry. All of this is in the stock Campaigns, BTW, so it's not like I'm running multiple players/AIs.

Guess I'm wondering if someone with a powerful rig can say if the "running-in-a-pool" phenomenon is how the game's supposed to run, or if one should expect RoN smoothness & fluidity with troop animations.

9. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I don't think the game is supposed to be running-in-a-pool... I just think the code in the AI was not as efficient as it could have been. However, I will test it out, as I just upgraded to a X1900-equipped Mac Pro. :)

10. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Back from testing... I've had no sluggishness problems playing Mideast Crisis vs. 2 hard computer AI. To be fair, I haven't tested the new C&CG/ZH UB update on the G5, so maybe they also made some changes in the PowerPC code with this update.

11. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

I said I had the latest patch, but I'm pretty sure it was the one before Universal. I know some games (Halo) actually get worse on PPC when Universal. Don't think that's the case here. EDIT: I see what you mean - Mac Pro is OK, but maybe there was a fix for G5 as well. Maybe I'll try the Universal, in that case.

I also see Macgamefiles has a C&C demo. Think that's why I noticed this problem: the demo was fine, but the retail game (once purchased) was not. I'm going to re-download that to confirm. Exact same thing happened to me with Stubbs the Zombie - demo runs well enough that I buy, game itself is so slow that it put me off playing. Rather sore at Aspyr about that - the whole point of a demo is to see if you not only like but can run the game, right???