C&C Generals on intel Macbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by peter202, Sep 2, 2006.

1. peter202 macrumors member

peter202

hello all, im not a hard core gamer but before i deicide to purchase my very own 2ghz macbook i would like to know i can at least play C&C generals now and again.
    My setup will be 2ghz, with 1gb ram. I have heard that a universal binary is on its way, but will it play on the macbook with its infeiror graphics card?
    Please share your thoughts on the current power pc version under rosetta and the upcoming intel binary.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I play C&C under Boot Camp – and it runs very well. A tiny bit of lag if I have eight players and scores of units on the map, but that's rare (I don't let my enemies survie that long ;)). If you'd like I'll install the Mac version, though I've heard that it doesn't run very well on Intel Macs – any Intel Mac.

3. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

You may want to run by here peter202:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Universal_Binary_Games

They have a listing of a lot of Mac games an notes on Rosetta performance.

I haen't yet dared try C&C on my Mini, may give it a host when I get my MacPro. As for playing it on a MacBook with the GMA 950 chip... I think you'll be okay as long as you don't push the graphics too high. As an experiment, I installed Call of Duty 2 on my 1.6Ghz Core duo Mini and it's not the best looking, but not horrible looking either. It runs well and doens't slow down very much. So C&C should be okay, if you'd like me to try I can install C&C on here and try running it in Rosetta.

4. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

It performs decently from my experience, better than the old eMac I was playing against it with. Keep the graphic settings down low and you should be fine (and who plays C&C games for dazzling 3D effects anyway? It's all gameplay). Install the patches as well - huge help.

5. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

Well I did. LOL Just because all the people and vehicles look all cartoony doesn't mean they can't look nice. :D Well okay, maybe I just do it for the explosions.

6. fansub macrumors member

C&C G on an intel

i have generals on my mac book pro, with 2 gig of ram. Generals does not work, at all, even on min graphics, it is painfully slow and takes forever to load. your gona have to wait for a binary version to come out it you want to run it on an intel.

7. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

Well that answers that.... LOL I guess I could still try running it, but I think my response back here will be along the lines of "fat lot of good that did..." LOL

8. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

I found it plenty playable. I think it'll work for you.

9. peter202 thread starter macrumors member

peter202

What did you use to play it on?
    If a mbp cant play it i dont think a mb or mini has a hope in hell..

10. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

The Macbook we were using ran it perfectly well, the 1ghz eMac that it was playing against was more the limiting factor factor in speed - we had to slow down the multiplayer for the eMac to be able to catch up. But the Macbook did fine on almost minimum, I have no idea why his MBP had troubles.

11. peter202 thread starter macrumors member

peter202

12. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Both machines only had one gigabyte, actually.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Since no one here actually answered your question, I think that C&C Generals will run fine on a Macbook once the Universal Binary comes out. Hopefully that will be soon... I would love to get back into the game on my MBP.

14. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

Okay, I'll give it a shot now, I'm exporting a vid that just has 8 minutes to go.

15. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

Fat lot of... okay just kidding. :D

The game is playable... to an extent. I ran through part of the Baghdad mission and if there is not a lot of action going on, it's rather skippy. Either way though, objects just move slowly (tank rounds, missles etc) so it really makes the game drag. I suppose on a MacPro it'd be better, but that UB update will be VERY much appreciated.

16. peter202 thread starter macrumors member

peter202

Thanks crazzyeddie, thats what i want to hear! I dropped an email afew days ago to aspyr asking about the system requirments but i dont think i will be getting a reply anytime soon..

17. peter202 thread starter macrumors member

peter202

Reply From Aspyr

Well thats not much help.

18. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

Yes it will run on Intel Macs... just not very well. LOL

19. Botts85 macrumors member

Botts85

It runs great on Intel macs with the new Universal Binary patch... That said, does anyone know how to force the resolution to 1440X900?