C++ Compiler

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mgmktx, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mgmktx macrumors member

Looking for a free and easy to use C++ compiler. I usually use the g++ compiler on the university's UNIX system but the servers are down right now because of a power outage. I need the program tonight so almost any c++ compilers will help! :D

Thanks

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you have your Mac install discs handy, you can put on Xcode, which includes GCC, a weird but functional IDE, a slew of OS-X-specific tools and all the libraries you need.

This does include a perfectly ordinary command-line GCC, if you would rather avoid the Apple tools and use a plain old text editor.

If you want the newest release of Xcode, go to Apple ADC, create a free account for yourself, and download it.

3. mgmktx thread starter macrumors member

I don't have the discs right now, I'm not in my dorm room. Xcode would be fine but the download is too big and the connection right now is slow.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Look in your /Applications folder. You should see another folder called Installers. Within it, there should be a Developer Tools installer. That should eliminate the need for a download.

5. mgmktx thread starter macrumors member

I don't see an Installers folder in the Applications folder.

6. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

This must be the 134890674370th time I've recommended this, but CPP Edit.

7. mgmktx thread starter macrumors member

That is EXACTLY what I need. A nice lightweight program. Thanks for recommending it one more time! ;)

Thanks

8. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

You're welcome! Glad I could help. :)