C++ Compiler

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dnaustin, Sep 28, 2003.

1. dnaustin macrumors newbie

I am looking for a good low cost C++ compiler that will run on OS 10. Something similar to the old "Think C++" or "Turbo C++". I need this as a learning tool for a programming class. There used to be several available for the Mac but now I can't find anything. It is frustrating that I can download one for free for the PC (Borland's C++ 5.5) but can't find anything for the Mac except very expensive high end development systems. Any help wll be appreciated.

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

3. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

like mikeyredk said, osx comes with one of the greatest development environments around for free. if osx came with your computer, you probably don't have a dev tools cd, so you'll have to register with the Apple Developer Connection (free at developer.apple.com) and download the disk image of the tools. it includes the basic command-line gcc compiler as well as the project builder IDE.

4. Cubeboy macrumors regular

The codewarrior compiler is very nice; fast build speeds, excellent portability, and no problems digesting code whatsoever (in my short experience with it at least). Of course, you have to purchase the entire development studio which is priced at $399 for the OSX only target version.

So the question is, would this be in your price range?

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

CodeWarrior is okay, but just.

They have great, wonderful compilers and a so-so development environment and poor application framework.

I've used it since Developer Release 10 and it hasn't improved much since then. It's kind of like Quark XPress for programmers--they got the majority of the market and sat on it.

7. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I've been using CodeWarrior for a few years now and I really like the interface. I also find the debugger easy to work with. I am currently using CodeWarrior 8 as well as Developer Tools. The only I don't like about CW is that I've had problems running updates released by Metrowerks.

Xcode will replace my CodeWarrior and my Dev Tools as soon as Panther is released.

8. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

okay good now that i have rounded up some programers help

is there a trace through feature in project builder?

and what about a watch window?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not sure of all of the terminoligy here buy yes it has a full debugger where you can execute the code line by line and see the contents of variables. Is this what you want? If you have experience of gdb (the GNU debugger) then you will be at home as the GUI is simply a nice front end onto gdb.

Some details and screenshots of XCode (new version of Project Bulder) here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/xcode.html Unfortunatly no shots of the debugger!

10. dnaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

Per mikeyredk & FattyMembrane's suggestion I installed the Mac Developmet Tools. In addition to being free it looks great. It has several tutorials go get you started and has tons of documentation. I can't find the command line gcc compiler but the IDE includes the C++ environment.

11. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

a watch window is where you watch a certain variable while your program runs

i can't seem to be able to use the trace feature meaning going line by line through the program

i want to be aable to use both of these together

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you using Project Builder (and if so which version with which gcc?) or XCode beta? I think the process is the same for both: set a breakpoint at the start of the code you want to step through. Check the project settings and ensure that you are at the minimum optimisation level and you have debugging symbols turned on. Clean the project (icon looks like a broom). Build and run in debug mode (the icon that looks like a spray can: there should be 2 icons one to build debug and one to build and run debug).

13. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

i can't get it to stop im am using the xcode beta

i created the breakpoints
    i cleaned all the targets
    i hit the build and debug spray can and nothing

[​IMG]

14. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Is the xcode beta available anywhere except the subscription ADC site? I'm hoping for legal sites but otherwise will do if nothing else:rolleyes:

I fancy a bit of a play with it :D

15. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

16. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I wasn't actually questioning the legality of your copy. I was asking if there was anywhere I could get hold if it;)

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If this is an example of what's not working, you should put the breakpoints on statements, not comments.

By the way, there is no public beta for xcode. Besides, you shouldn't expect things in beta to work perfectly. That's why it's a beta test.

18. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

i did it did the same thing
    i also tried this on project builder

here is another shot
    [​IMG]

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Your debugger might well be hosed: note the debugger has exited due to sigtrap message.

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Here is the debugger working on the basic C++ template in XCode on Panther (for me: iBook 800, 640Mb) (50% due to max file size limit):

Attached Files:

21. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

okay thx for the help but i get the same error under jag also with project builder