C|Net Anti-mac bias?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hob, Dec 21, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I dunno why, I'm not normally the kind to go off on an apple crusade, I normally let my powerbook speak for itself... but this kinda ticked me off.

Look at this page of a c|net review of the new apple display and then compare it to this review of an HP monitor.

The thumbs down only have a 4% difference, but all of the comments for the apple monitor shown on the page are thumbs-down comments, and it's the exact other way round for the HP...

Hmmm...

Comments?

Hob

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think it's safe to say that the c|net review department works closely with their advertising department. Their advertisers often get more favourable reviews than other companies do, even if the other companies are not Apple.

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

There has been quite a few complaints about the 20" and 23" Apple Cinema Display's having bad picture quality. Mainly the pinkish cast, and ghosting. If you pay $1,200-$1,700 for a display, it damn well better be problem free as there are better alternatives currently that are cheaper. I think Apple has screwed themselves with the current pricing of their displays. $1,200 for a 20" Widescreen display is just plain ridiculous! Especially since its Apple's cheapest display.

4. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I wasn't really curious about the quality of the display, more about what ratings C|Net chooses to show for which company... But I have read some bad things!!

Hob

5. 40167 macrumors regular

Well for one, the apple link you gave is the link for NEGATIVE ONLY comments, it is not the link you get when clicking "user opinions" (That would be http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_Cinema_Display_23_inch_LCD/4852-3174_7-30964608.html?tag=tab) and as you can clearly see they show all the comments.

Secondly, the HP link you gave doesnt go to "user opinions" either. It goes to the main page, which only lists 2 comments. They are positive since most the comments are positive for the display, thus the positive ones are shown. (The link you should have refered to inorder to get a non-biased opinion on C|net themselfs would be http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_F2304/4852-3174_7-30871933.html?tag=tab and again you see it clearly states all the comments)

My verdict, without being to cruel, is either A) You're not that bright or B) You're trying to pull a fast one here.

Edit: Typo

6. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Sorry, I hope you'll go with A on this one. It's been a long day, guess I wasn't concentrating!

7. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Cnet will always honor their sponsors. Just watch the videos. I still go there everyday even though its always obvious they dont like macs.