C++ on the Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmmdreg, Mar 1, 2005.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I'm doing computing subjects at uni and we're going to be using C++. What do I need on the Mac to do this stuff? Will the stuff i make work on PC's with a recompile? blah blah.. dev tools?

2. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Mac OS X includes GNU's gcc/g++ compiler and all the supporting tools on the installation media. Also included is Apple's XCode IDE, which is a highly featured GUI environment for developing Objective C/C/C++ and Java applications.

Provided the C++ programs you are developing are written according to ANSI specifications, you aren't making calls to OS-specific libraries (like Microsoft's MFC libraries or Apple's Cocoa libraries), and you have makefiles which cover any platform dependencies (like the location of key libraries) then yes...any C++ program you write on the Mac should recompile with a minimum of headaches on a Windows machine (or a Linux machine, or any other OS with a modern C++ compiler).

In general, Mac OS X is a very good software development platform for many of the same reasons Linux and other Unix systems are: it includes a broad selection of development languages and tools (gcc/g++, Python, Perl, Java, XCode, the CHUD tools) and can take advantage of the huge resource of open source libraries which are available to support these languages.

3. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

In Xcode:

File -> New Project -> Command Line Utility -> C++ Tool.

That project will compile happily on Mac OS X and copied across to Windows/Linux boxen will compile happily as well.

I really feel sorry for you having to learn C++ though. Which uni are you going to?

4. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Macquarie.. It seems they're very PC-oriented all over. I'm doing B. Com - Actuarial Studies/ B. Sci. - Computing =) Sounds nerdy eh? :p

So will c++ help me on my way to Obj-C?

5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I had several friends who did the Actuarial Studies degree at Macquarie (I did Biotechnology there many moons ago). You're in for an absolute arsehole of a time...and if your career leads you into the actuarial world afterwards, then you've got several more years of tough professional-level exams to pass. It's all worth it in the end I guess, since my friends who work in the insurance industry now earn about 4 trillion dollars a year and have barely turned 30.

C++ will help you with Objective C in terms of understanding the basic notions of object oriented programming, and the mechanics of how the C/C++/Objective C family of languages work. There are various differences between the way that C++ and Objective C handle the object-oriented additions to the basic C language though...some concepts don't map straight across. If you're interested in writing Mac OS X software, I think coming to grips with the large Cocoa API and learning to use it effectively will be more of a task than mastering the differences between C++ and Objective C though. Not that you'll have much time for that doing a double degree in Actuarial Studies and Computing ;)

6. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I think it has already been outlined but I would just like to say no, it won't help at all. :) C++ is a nasty hodge-podge of a code base and you will learn so many different ways of approaching the one problem. Obj-C is relatively straight forward and in comparison is a cake walk.

Enjoy the course though. :)