1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

C++ or Java for Leap Motion?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by pchipchip, Jul 19, 2012.

?

C++ or Java for Leap Motion?

1. C++

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Java

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (Please comment what language and why)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. pchipchip, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

macrumors regular

I am thinking about learning a language for developing applications for the Leap Motion. The available languages for Leap Motion developing are: Java, C++, C, C# and Python. I have some background in C. Should I learn C++ or Java for Leap Motion programming? Please answer the poll, but also comment why you chose that answer.

Edit: This is not just a basic C++ vs Java poll. I am wondering specifically for 3D graphics and applications on Leap Motion. I in fact have done a bit of researching on the topic and have found nothing so I do not appreciate it when people try to say that a quick Google search will solve everything. As for the person that said I don't know what I want to develop, here: How about an app that you can make 3 dimensional art with your hands. I would target people that are interested in ceramics, pottery, or other sculpting art. The platform would be a Mac application with Leap Motion.

2. macrumors 6502a

Another useless pole.

You're the one that intends to develop applications yet haven't given any indication of whom, what or platform these applications are targeting.

3. macrumors 6502

I think the real question is, what are you trying to develop and how much experience do you have? If its a video game, then you'll likely want to use C++, Objective C*, or C#. If you're creating a basic multimedia app then it likely doesn't matter. If you're going to create something with tight integration with OS X (i.e. a 3D gesture remote or mouse) then C/Obj. C is likely your weapon of choice.

One tangible benefit of using one of those three languages is that there is a lot of libraries available and a lot of momentum in terms of multimedia software. A perk of a Java codebase is if they get Android support of some kind rolling. Another is that if you're relatively new to programing, Java will arguably have a lower learning curve than the alternatives they list since it has a C like syntax and hides memory management from you.

In general, I prefer C++, Obj. C, & C# over Java but thats just me.

One option that you might want to look at if you're doing anything 3D is Unity 3D. I'm not a *huge* fan of it as a platform but a lot of people have made decent-good software with it and it has a TON of content/libraries/assets/tutorials available for it. Assuming their SDK works with it then you can use C# and UnityScript (an ECMAscript dialect like JavaScript).

*since Objective C is built on top of C, you can use any C library that will compile/is compiled for OS X or iOS. C++ libraries can be used as well via Objective C++.

4. macrumors regular

I doubt that someone who can't even pgdn to see the 4 page C++ vs Java thread let alone use a search engine is going to get very far writing any application.