C Rice Threatens Jamaica Over Aristide

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Mar 25, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/03/25/1537236

Transcription of Radio interview:

Once again, the US sh*ts on democracy.

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Haiti is quickly disappearing of the media's radar. I would hope that some folks are forced to answer questions, not only about Aristide's departure, but also the decisions to cut off funding to the Haitian government in the years before and the funding behind the "rebels" - including where their arms came from. I too believe there is good reason to think this might have been a US sponsored coup against a democratically elected government. Even if the US did not plan it, it is clear that the support for democracy doesn't extend to the Haitian people in the eyes of the Bush administration.

I have tremendous respect for Randall Robinson's work and I'm glad to see the post, diamond geezer.

3. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

I think there is a tremendous overload of dodgy newsworthy stories at the moment. To fit then all in, networks would have to shorten the human interest and sports sections of the news, and we cant have that now, can we?

Maybe the networks are dancing to someone else's tune who don't want the questions asked?

Or maybe reporting the truth about the US's lip service to democracy is just unpalatable?

Thank God (or Gore) for the internet :)

Cheers Sayhey

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah that liberal media. Good thing they are so liberal that they hold this administration to the fire consistently.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

On a few issues they have had their moments, but you're right in your sarcasm, they have been an extreme disappointment. Am I wrong or are they suffering still from their period as "embeds." If there ever was a more appropriate term for how the press has kissed this administration's rear for the last few years, I haven't heard it.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Not that I trust this administration further than I could throw it, but...why would the US want the overthrow the government of Haiti? :confused:

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Dirt-cheap labour pool, compliant government?

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We need a bastion of democracy in the Carribean?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Anywhere south of Canada would be good...

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

For a number of reasons. With this administration it could be just because the Clinton administration helped bring Aristide back. However, I think the major reason was that Aristide's politics were too far to the left and he was at odds with the "traditional" allies of cutthroats and murderers that we have trained and supported. Some of the folks in this administration looked on Aristide as a potential Castro or Chavez ally that had to be gotten out of office. The wishes of the Haitian people be damned. The stupid thing is they have succeeded in making many other countries in the region question the rhetoric of US support for democracy and look to see if this isn't just a repeat of the type of gunboat diplomacy and US interference the ruled the day for decades.

11. FatTony macrumors regular

As I understand it, Aristide wanted to raise the minimum wage to something like a couple of dollars per day.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

fwiw, it's going to be impossible for me to read your posts in a voice other than Joe Mantegna's character.