C2D 2.0 to C2D 2.16 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alabaster, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Alabaster macrumors newbie

Alabaster

I'm planning on buying the 17 inch iMac model and am wondering if the extra 160mhz is worth the $100 upgrade. I figure since it is a dual core processor it might feel more like a 320mhz upgrade. I did some googling but could not find any benchmarts, so could anyone please help me out?:confused:

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Just do it. One hundred dollars is worth having an edge on your applications, and also to know that you have the fastest available :)

I did the upgrade on my iMac, and the jump was quite a bit more costly and it jumped from 2.16 to 2.33. I am glad I did it.

3. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

I'm sure you won't be able to notice any difference unless you were benchmarking, but for $100, it's not too bad. Although I think using the money to max out the RAM would give you more performance.

4. Alabaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Alabaster

I am getting the memory upgrade and the 250GB, but dont think i can justify the $100 for a slight cpu increase. If anyone has seen a more then just noticeable speed increase please say somthing.
    Thanks for all the help so far:)

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

from 1GB to 2GB or you maxin it out at 3GB? If it's to 2GB you could buy yourself another stick of RAM and put in there yourself.

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Let me ask you this, what would you being doing mostly with your new iMac?

7. Alabaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Alabaster

I'm getting 2GB

8. Alabaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Alabaster

Internet, Gaming, converting videos to ipod, Might do some DVD ripping, online media streaming
    I think thats all

Also might eventually run parrelels or boot camp

9. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

well like Stridder44 said, whatcha gonna be using the machine for? If you're not afraid to open it up put the extra ram in there, I say go for it. I did it on my iMac G5 (Pre-iSight) was really easy.

10. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

2GB is plenty for your purposes. Even with your gaming interests, moving to a 3GB wouldn't help much because of the VRAM constraints and other reasons often listed on here.

11. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

well if you don't want to go for the processor upgrade or the RAM you could always buy a round of drinks for us :D

12. Alabaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Alabaster

Maybe i should finaly get rid of this garage sale desk i have been using:rolleyes:

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I'm partial to the drinks.... A new desk to show off your new iMac is always nice.