C2D MacBook Pro w/ Dell Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JohnMC, Oct 26, 2006.

1. JohnMC macrumors 6502

Hi Guys and Gals, I was wondering what you would do in this situation. I plan on buying a new C2D MBP 17" as soon as my local Apple Store gets some in. I would like to have an extra screen to go with it and was wondering what you thought about the Dell E207WFP 20" Widescreen Display. It is only $289.00 so I would like some reviews if anyone owns one. My other option is a 20" Apple Cinema Display but that will cost me $649.00 and I heard somewhere that Dell and Apple use the same panels as each other. So if anyone would give me a recomendation on what to do, that would be great. Thanks for your time, JohnMC.

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I don't have that particular model, but we have 3 of the dell monitors in our house (two 2007wfp's and one 2407wfp), and we've had two 1907fp and two 17-inchers, and they've all been great monitors, so I would definitely recommend 'em.

Just a thought, though, if you're going to be getting an external monitor anyway, why not opt for the 15" model MBP, and put the $300 (or the $700 if you opted for the low end MBP) towards a better, bigger monitor? I mean, your 17" MBP is going to have the same resolution as the 20" widescreen monitors, so wouldn't it be nicer to be able to plug your MBP into a monitor that offers more space?

Of course the decision is yours, just I would personally rather have a 15" MBP and a big 24" monitor to plug it into for the extra space when I'm at home.

3. Carguy172 macrumors member

There excellent displays there bright vibrant and have had no issues with them.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It should be noted that the E207 is a completely different (and better) panel than the normal 2007.

6. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand your point of view on the smaller MBP and then a better screen, but I will (at times) be away from home for as long as a week and so a larger screen for Photoshop and FCP Studio work would be a good thing in my opinion.

Could someone please explain how the E207WFP for $289.00 is a better LCD Display than the 2007WFP for $339.15? It just does not make since did I miss something (VGA not DVI, etc.). Thanks, JohnMC.

7. psychometry macrumors regular

Exactly what I have. The Dell display is great. I got it on eBay, new with warranty, for hundreds less than on the Dell website. They just dropped the price there, too, though. It has no dead pixels, a memory card reader, all sorts of video inputs and a decent menu system. Basically I have no complaints.

Choosing a Dell display over an Apple one is really a no-brainer.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, I have the 2407wfp hooked up to a MB. It's awesome. I got it new from Dell, though, using a coupon. Was only $670 shipped. :eek: :D

Absolutely no complaints - it's a beautiful monitor.

9. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

The E207WFP's panel is worse than the 2007WFP's (as the price would indicate). The viewing angle is worse. From what I hear, the panel in the E207WFP is a TN panel, the same type found in cheapo LCD monitors.

Also, when comparing the two panels on Dell's website, there seems to be a disparity on response time. The E207WFP has 5ms (which is most likely grey-to-grey response), but the 2007WFP is listed at 16ms. The 2007WFP, however, does not ghost, which makes the 16ms measurement appear to be a black-to-black test.

10. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, thanks for all your replies, I think I'm going to buy a 17" MBP and then after Christmas buy a Dell 24" Widescreen (2407WFP). Thanks again, JohnMC.