C2D MBP kernel panic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miniguu, Nov 6, 2006.

1. miniguu macrumors regular

So..I got my first ever kernel panic on my 2.16. Pretty cool to see the grey screen + "You must restart" text. I was waking from sleep, and the only apps open were Mail, Omnioutliner Pro, iPulse and maybe Firefox. Plus the VPN connection for school was still running. Magsafe was not connected, nor were any external devices.

What could have caused it, and should I be concerned (at all)?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sucky. :(

I generally let the first one go but take note of what I was doing when it happened. However, you can try logging it if you're really keen. :)

3. miniguu thread starter macrumors regular

Found the software that I think is causing the kernel panic/crashes. I ported all my old apps when I first got this MBP...which seems like a mistake now, but it's too much work to go back and redo it all now. :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What do you mean by ported the software? If you mean that you used Migration Assistant or simply dragged and dropped your apps, then reinstalling them might be a good idea. :)

5. miniguu thread starter macrumors regular

Yes..using migration assistant. Sorry..not down with all the terminology. I think a reinstall may be in my future. Perhaps this weekend :)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No need to apologise mate. You don't have to necessarily reinstall the entire OS, but reinstalling the apps is probably necessary. Install them from their original sources (internet, CD wherever). :)