Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherfizzle

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Waterford, New York
infact

2.16 Ghz and 2.33 Ghz does make a difference in terms of SOME games and the performance in rosetta i hear.
but in all generality i dont think its worth the 150 since its an expensive system in the first place
i got the 20"imac and i didnt even consider that i could upgrade to that. i just upped the memory and bought the thing

cherfizzle

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Waterford, New York
I mean, I can see there would be difference in terms of say 1.xx GHz and 2.xx GHz, but the difference between the two models is too little, I really am not sure. But if you say it makes a small difference in gaming and performance, then...
well, today i was looking at gaming benchmarks, idk the link is somewhere on the imac quide, and the 2.16 and the 2.33 actually had a fairly large difference between them.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Now onto a question about the operating system. I am a Windows user and there is a shortcut that I really like that comes preinstalled, which is the Windows Key + L, which locks the screen with the logon screen, except it does not log you out, it only freezes the screen until the correct password is inputed. Is there anything like this on the Mac OS X? I have seen videos of the iAlertU, which lets you lock the system via the remote, but I would like another solution similar to the Windows+L function.

I tend to just have my screensaver password protected and a hot corner set up so when I put the mouse pointer in that corner, the screensaver comes on. Means if I have to dash away from the computer, I just fling the mouse towards that corner and walk away. Safe and Secure, and it's essentially the same thing as locking a Windows machine, only a lot prettier :D

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
If you open Keychain.app and choose to show it in the menu bar, you get something that looks like a lock up by your clock. If you click on the lock you can choose "Lock Screen", which does exactly what you want.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Wouldn't this be inconvenient if you accidentally put your mouse cursor over the hotspot?[/b]

Not really, its right into the very corner of the screen where you don't normally put your mouse pointer. I've never found myself accidentally starting the screensaver. Hard to explain, but its very very useful. There are other utilities you can get to do the same thing though from either an icon in the menu bar, or a universal shortcut so whatever way you go about it, there'll be a way that works for you.

Kolind

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Denmark
I forgot one very important question. I need some clarification about the C2D, this is the new revision from Apple that has improved Photoshop loading times, right? Not like the previous iMac.

The C2D is quite a bit faster than the "old" CD in terms of pretty much anything, I think what you're talking about is the new update to OS X Tiger though, which would make any intel machine run Rosetta programs, including Photoshop, faster (thus, both CD and C2D machines).

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm sure the rotating screen is very heavy duty, my friends 2 year old G5 works good as always, and as for the CD, I actually experienced a bad problem because of that (but was fixed), it's just that I had no idea how to get it out. I don't really know what you mean by it getting stuck, but if you turn the computer off with a CD in the drive and the computers all messed up (like happed to me) just turn on the computer while holding down the first mouse button (primary button) and it should pop right out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.