C2D Pre-Buying Concerns

Discussion in 'iMac' started by abcdefGARY, Nov 10, 2006.

1. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

2. cherfizzle macrumors regular

infact

2.16 Ghz and 2.33 Ghz does make a difference in terms of SOME games and the performance in rosetta i hear.
    but in all generality i dont think its worth the 150 since its an expensive system in the first place
    i got the 20"imac and i didnt even consider that i could upgrade to that. i just upped the memory and bought the thing

3. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

4. cherfizzle macrumors regular

well, today i was looking at gaming benchmarks, idk the link is somewhere on the imac quide, and the 2.16 and the 2.33 actually had a fairly large difference between them.

5. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I had no idea the "window+L" thing worked. I had to try it to see if it worked. Not that I didn't believe you...:D

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I tend to just have my screensaver password protected and a hot corner set up so when I put the mouse pointer in that corner, the screensaver comes on. Means if I have to dash away from the computer, I just fling the mouse towards that corner and walk away. Safe and Secure, and it's essentially the same thing as locking a Windows machine, only a lot prettier :D

7. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If you open Keychain.app and choose to show it in the menu bar, you get something that looks like a lock up by your clock. If you click on the lock you can choose "Lock Screen", which does exactly what you want.

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Not really, its right into the very corner of the screen where you don't normally put your mouse pointer. I've never found myself accidentally starting the screensaver. Hard to explain, but its very very useful. There are other utilities you can get to do the same thing though from either an icon in the menu bar, or a universal shortcut so whatever way you go about it, there'll be a way that works for you.

10. Kolind macrumors regular

The C2D is quite a bit faster than the "old" CD in terms of pretty much anything, I think what you're talking about is the new update to OS X Tiger though, which would make any intel machine run Rosetta programs, including Photoshop, faster (thus, both CD and C2D machines).

11. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm sure the rotating screen is very heavy duty, my friends 2 year old G5 works good as always, and as for the CD, I actually experienced a bad problem because of that (but was fixed), it's just that I had no idea how to get it out. I don't really know what you mean by it getting stuck, but if you turn the computer off with a CD in the drive and the computers all messed up (like happed to me) just turn on the computer while holding down the first mouse button (primary button) and it should pop right out.

13. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular