C2D vs. CD macbook? thinking about buying

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 21, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    Ok is there really a huge difference between the two? I'd like to get a Macbook in the near future...by mid may, but I'd like to know is a Core 2 Duo really necessary or will a core duo do? I want to get the best budget machine for a good price.

I will mainly be doing word processing, internet, email stuff, and video editing in FCE and I'd like to use parallels for my windows apps.

I have external hd's to store my video and I have an 80gb internal drive that I'm going to install in the computer so I dont mind purchasing a 60gb unit. Also, I'll most likely upgrade to 1gb of ram due to the vid editing.

Also, if I wait until like the beginning of may when the new system is released do you think that the prices will drop lower on the refurbed units? If so, i'm willing to wait it out.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    C2D is 64-bit while CD is 32-bit. I think that's the only difference. Aside from the FCE stuff, I doubt you'll notice any difference between the two, and even then you'll only notice the difference if FCE uses the 64-bit stuff, which I don't think it does (or can't on Tiger because Tiger is 32-bit currently).

Leopard, however, will be 64-bit.
  3. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2006
    I do notice a difference when running rosetta apps, that is about all...
  4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    I think the main advantage of the Core 2 Duo is it will be a bit more future-proof by virtue of it being a 64 bit chip. The main performance advantage is that the C2D has twice the cache.

You can see a review, with some standardized benchmarks, here: http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/reviews/13inmacbookcore2/index.php

Best suggestion from me would be to get a refurb C2D white model. They are $1099 at the Apple store. You are unlikely to a a CD model for much less based on a quick eBay search of completed items.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    the difference between core duo and core 2 duo isn't too tremendous. i've read that rosetta apps run noticeably better with core 2 duos, but it doesn't sound like that will affect you much, if at all. if you're looking for a budget macbook and don't care about dvd-burning, the base core duo macbook sells on the refurbished store for $799. it's a pretty good deal if you ask me.