CA sales tax!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ncook06, Mar 6, 2006.

1. ncook06 macrumors regular

I was all psyched up about the fact that after I get paid on Thursday, I can afford my MBP. Then I realized that California charges sales tax of 7.5%. That's an extra $150! :mad: I live in Florida, and it's 7% here, but I know that some companies, when billing to an out-of-state address, don't have to charge sales tax. (That was awful grammar.)

What's the deal? Is there a way I can avoid paying this? I'm so let down :(

2. Timepass macrumors 65816

it all depends. Techically you are supposed to send in the money to your stated if you buy from someplace out of state. At least I think so. States are changing their laws right now to collect sells tax when stuff is boughten out of state.

if they have a office in your state they are required by law to charge you sells tax. If there is a apple store in there state they need to charge you sales tax.

Sales tax is supposed to apply to when ever something is sold in that state.

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

No offense, but you could afford $2500-$3000 and not an extra $150?

4. ncook06 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm actually a high school senior now, and have a student discount waiting. With that, my MBP is $1979 (only upgrade is 7200 RPM HD). I'm also getting an extra gb of ram. If I have to spend the extra $150, I'd rather buy Logic Express, or something I will actually use.

5. osxnewbe macrumors regular

Have you considered buying from Amazon.com? I think they only charge sales tax in a few states. Something like WA, NV, and either SD or ND... I know the last time I ordered from them I was not charged sales tax....

Timepass is right. Most states want you to pay the sales tax for your online purchases. I know on my Arkansas tax return last year, there was a form in the packet to fill out with your online purchases in order to pay the sales tax that you "owed."

6. ncook06 thread starter macrumors regular

I should have mentioned that I still need the student discount, as it takes $220 off my order. So it has to be a way to order from Apple.

7. netb0y macrumors regular

netb0y

Amazon has $150 off, plus you can get their A9 discount which is about $30 right now on the MacBook Pro 1.83. Only thing you can't get is the 7200rpm drive.

Another option is to drive up to Delaware :D

8. ncook06 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'll be in North Carolina in 2 weeks, but I'll see if I can convince my mom to let me take the family an extra 8 hours North ;)

9. netb0y macrumors regular

netb0y

I live in NJ and go down to VA all the time so I plan on stopping at the Christiana Mall on the way to pick up a MacBook Pro if Amazon doesn't ship my order out soon.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Around my parts... the CA sales tax is 8.25%... your quoted percentage is preferable. :p

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Most places ive been in CA its been 7.75% or above, not sure where it is that low. I certainly would take it over my 8.25% :D

It could be worse, we could be in England or Canada.. what is it there 14% +?

Unless you reside in the state that you are ordering from or they have a physical presence in your state you shouldnt pay any tax, thats how amazon gets away with keeping many a Californian tax free.

Ed

12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I paid $@&*?%! $168 tax on my MBP. Sunny California is not nearly as much fun as people think it is. Too many laws. Too many Hollywierdites. Not enough sun (as of late).

13. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Pah! Try 19% here in Holland! :eek: :eek:

14. oober_freak macrumors regular

We have 4% VAT here and still people want stuff to be tax-free :p

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

These taxes are what give comfortable countries to live in, with services, benefits, and everything. :)

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's still 7.25% in Ventura County -- lowest allowable rate in California. Many other counties still collect the 7.25% base rate, but most of them are rural.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you live in florida? why would you worry about CA sales tax? typically Apple is going to charge you the tax where you live......and not CA tax

18. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Macky-Mac is correct. Apple charges sales tax based on where YOU are, not California. (For example, I live in no-sales-tax Oregon, and I didn't pay any sales tax; and my grandmother in Arizona pays Arizona sales tax through Apple's website.)

A quick test using four different address in four different states produces four different sales tax amounts. You're fine. Just use your own Florida address, and you'll be charged Florida tax, not California.

19. After G macrumors 68000

After G

7.75% in Orange County.

Don't want to go back to the Bay Area and pay that extra 0.5% again.
    But I like it more in Northern California than in Southern California.

What the above posters said is true. You pay your state tax.

20. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I buy higher priced computer equipment/software via web merchants who do not have an office in my state (so that I don't have to pay sales tax). Most of the merchants will give the free shipping option as long as you hit the min. order. I could not stand those sales tax and internet sales is the legal way to get away from money grabbers.

21. howard macrumors 68020

howard

22. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Boo for France and 19.6% tax!:eek:

I'm looking forward to moving back to SF and getting my tax level down again.

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

OT alert!

Tee hee. Nor Cal rocks! :p

24. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Too bad on an island... everything else is expensive! :eek: