Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
The most annoying thing concerning Apple TV is having to switch inputs on my television and audio outputs - hardly a seamless, uninterrupted experience between streaming and cable content.

I understand an actual apple led TV would solve this problem, but since they're staying with the separate box, can they design an hdmi input from the cable box? I've seen some say the remote may be able to control a cable box, so wouldn't it make sense to have an input and centralize all content?

Last edited:

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
That's what universal remote controls are for. Get a good one and switching from one device to another is a seamless experience. Hopefully, you'll still be able to control the new AppleTV with one.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
I'm not entirely sure what your getting at. Every streaming box is going to be on a separate input if they are directly connected to the TV.

The only way to get around this is having a receiver which takes all of your different inputs and can give you one output to the TV, but you still have to change the source no matter what you do.

If you are just looking for a simple remote solution then the above advice is accurate. A good universal remote will solve the problem. I am actually using an old directv remote to control my tv and Apple TV which is quite simple.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I'm not entirely sure what your getting at. Every streaming box is going to be on a separate input if they are directly connected to the TV.

The only way to get around this is having a receiver which takes all of your different inputs and can give you one output to the TV, but you still have to change the source no matter what you do.

If you are just looking for a simple remote solution then the above advice is accurate. A good universal remote will solve the problem. I am actually using an old directv remote to control my tv and Apple TV which is quite simple.

I think they are talking about the TV allowing the cable to pass through so that it's all the same input to the tv and there being some kind of interface for the cable programming, since you would need some way to differentiate. I doubt it since the TV is meant to replace the cable plan.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I think they are talking about the TV allowing the cable to pass through so that it's all the same input to the tv and there being some kind of interface for the cable programming, since you would need some way to differentiate. I doubt it since the TV is meant to replace the cable plan.

Yes, this is what I'm referring to.

I'm watching ESPN on Cox Cable, sister walks in and wants to show me a quick picture from her iPhone. With current ATV, we'd have to turn on ATV, wait for it to load, switch TV input, view picture, switch TV input again.

If there was a cable input on the apple tv, we could airplay it over the game. Or get notifications over the game. I believe this was the vision Apple had when they were thinking about manufacturing their own tv.

If the $40.00 price point for subscription is true, ATV is won't be replacing cable anytime soon.

Last edited:

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I believe the XBox One does this and from the little I have read about it (which I admit is not much) it doesn't work all that well and people don't really like it.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
For universal search and a global watch list I believe they all need to be Apps on the Apple TV. With the App Store this could happen. Not sure I care who I pay for the content as long as there is an App on Apple TV to watch it. I believe there will be API's where the App's can feed these global applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.