Cable Modem Fixed IP address Service

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by James.Paul, Sep 20, 2002.

1. James.Paul macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting a fixed IP address from my ISP (NTL) for my cable modem. Then I can run a web server from home for my websites. Is anyone else doing this and if so how do you find the performance of the server and bandwith etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

it's probably ok for small websites... but remember Cable's upstream is pretty slow... so don't expect to be running high bandwidth sites from home.

I get up to 40k/s on my cable modem upstream (which is downstream for your visitors).

arn

3. James.Paul thread starter macrumors regular

It is for small websites and testing of my sites I develop. The best thing is that I would have full control at home. I've got the server, the software, I can make my backups whenever I want. Do you find it reliable, ie up 100% of the time. There are occassions when I have used by cable modem with a DHCP address and not been able to connect.

4. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

i would check with your ISP. my step dad does the same thing (checks his sites hes making from his own office) but he has road runner cable modem from time warner and he gets more than 40k upstream, a good bit more most of the time.

5. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

First thing you should do is check with your ISP to make sure they are not blocking port 80. If they are you will be SOL..If they don't block it make sure its not in violation of your TOS..