Cable Modem help...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Aug 14, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I need some advice on which cable modem to get. Ive moved to a new city and im trying to get internet access asap. I figured I would go cable and i could install it myself once they insall the cable tv. So now instead of paying a butt load on thier cable modem (the service provider over here...which is cox) im going to buy my own. Now i need to know which brand to get or what dont I get etc. etc. Thanks. Hopefully Ill be online hanging with you all once again from my abode. Right now im a t a local library.

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

My cable company here gave it to me free of charge the only restriction is that I have to bring it back when/if I cancel the subscription.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

What's Cox charging?

Over here in CA it's like $45 if you have cable $55 if you don't, for the whole deal. connection and modem...

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I have RoadRunner, and with them, they insist you use theirs. They are all numbered (serial), and that's how they do phone/remote support. Maybe Cox is different though.

Gus

6. ponyboy macrumors regular

I dont think you can just buy a modem and hook it up youself. Cox is an ISP at least in Vegas it is and they have to set the thing up. Even if you had your own modem just having cable TV would not mean that you have internet they've got to "Flip the Switch" and turn it on for you.

7. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Go with the cable modem from Cox!!! Why? it's ony $75, wich is cheaper than everbody else here in Hot Ass Las Vegas(114º)!!!! ;)

BTW, it is (Cox internet service)superb!!!! I sometimes get 2.4Mbs/sec!!:p

8. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

He's right... you can't just buy your own cable modem and expect to get cable access. All the cable modem does is take information from the coxial cable and turn it into information on a RJ-45 network cable. Basically its a cable-to-network cord converter. You would have to do some major hacking to get cable access without paying for it. Anyway, you have to connect to their servers and log on and stuff, so you have to pay for it.

9. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Hey this just in!!!!

Cox current special is.... Get a cable modem from them for $50 bucks!! and the first month is free:mad: Lucky Bastard:p

BTW, this promotion ends in September!!!:p

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

well thanks. we are not just buying a cable modem and expecting internet access. i talk to a representative and they are going to flip the switch for me when i go and get the software after they install cable tv. i dont know how much exactly they are charging for a cable modem but i rememeberd i asked and looked and it was more expensive then buying one on my own. i will look into that special on a modem though for sure. thanks.