Cable Modem Overclock??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mazmaximus, Mar 4, 2003.

1. mazmaximus macrumors newbie

I read somewhere that I could "overclock" my cable modem to allow more infomation to be sent and received in the packets. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and who could guide me through performing this modification to my 1GIG G4 Ti? Thanks.

Mazmaximus.

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Re: Cable Modem Overclock??

It won't work, your connection is capped. There were old ways to get around it with some of the 1st generation cablemodems but now you can't, it is all set from the ISP's servers, I have tried. All the utilities out there at most will just complicate things.

3. mazmaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you have to hack into their main server wherever they are located and change some numbers around. ive heard it explained, but the hard part is hacking into it. then once you do, the hard part is not getting caught.

iJon

5. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

And you also have to remember that it's now a federal offense to take the cap off of your modem. ISP's consider it "Theft of Service" now. So, if you do in fact get the cap off of your service, keep in mind that if they track you (which I'm going to assume would be rather easy, because they just have to see who has a hire bandwidth now as compared to other users) they have the right to call the FBI up and have you thrown in the slammer. :)

Happy Un-Capping :)

enoch

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You can sometimes get a speed boost just by asking your cable provider to give you the latest firmware. I did this once and the new firmware gave me a noticeable speed improvement. The technician told me that they aren't likely to tell you about this unless you ask.

7. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

What brand and model of cablemodem do you have?

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Youre not allowed to un-cap your modem?

:eek: *whistles dixie as quickly reverts prefs*

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My cable modem was replaced recently. It is now a SURFboard SB4100. At the time I got the firmware upgrade, however, I had a LANcity "LCPET 10Base-T Domestic".

10. mazmaximus thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm renting a Surfboard SB3100 from Comcast.net. Is there a faster one and should I ask for an upgrade? Do you think they'll just give it to me?

11. daniel77 macrumors 6502

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't know, but it can't hurt to ask (except for waiting on hold). If your modem ever fails, they would probably give you the latest model. We'd all like to have the fastest connection we could, but it's all relative. Cable modems are so fast compared with dial-up that it's hard to complain that any cable modem is "too slow".

13. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

the best way to get faster speeds out of either a DLS line or cable modem is to:
    1) Buy a seconde cable modem
    2) Find a Cicso 36xx series router (ebay has em cheap)
    3) Pay for a second IP address from your ISP (usually 5 dollars a month)
    4) Bond the two lines together. Right there you have a pipe fatter than a T1 most likely.

Don't tell me can't be done, it's cheap and I've done it before. Best way to get SUPER fast speed to your house.

BEN