Cable Modem/Router Issues

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mwpeters8182, Aug 26, 2004.

1. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone,

My girlfriend recently moved into a new apartment, and switched from DSL to Cable, because of a package deal they had. She connected her computer, and set up the router (SMC Wireless). Here's the odd thing. When her computer is connected via cable to the router, it works perfectly. However, when she's on wireless, she gets the LAN, but she can't get the internet. Does anyone know what's going on or how to fix it? She's a bit far away and i'm heading up there in a week, so I figure i'll get it fixed.

Without seeing it, my guess is it's a MAC address problem, but then again, I really don't know a ton about networking.

MP

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Your assumption seems to be on target. Check out pages 34-36 of the SMC Wireless Barricade user manual.

3. mwpeters8182 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info - I completely forgot that I could have gotten the manual online, and she has the printed one.

However, I'm not sure this is what i'm looking for. The pages you mentioned seem to talk about not letting the cards access the network through the router. Her wireless can do this, it just won't get on the internet - which is why i think the problem might be with how the cable company authorizes everything. The settings hadn't changed from when she was using DSL, so one of the MACs shouldn't be locked out of the router. I'll make sure to look at this though.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your girlfriend was accessing her DSL line via PPPoE, then her settings may have to change. To access the Internet via cable modem, the router should connect to the cable modem via DHCP. The compter should connect to the router via DHCP.

5. mwpeters8182 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, wasn't clear -- that was the only change that was made. She can access the internet through the router, but just over ethernet, not wireless. I'm sure i'll have a fun time fighting with it when i get there

MP

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

From page 34:

It looks like she can associate to the Wireless LAN but cannot connect to the Barricade.

Seems like the fix would be to go to the MAC Address Control section on the router and uncheck "Enable."