Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
I just realized that I'm using the same Road Runner cable modem they gave me 5 years ago. Are the news ones better in any way? Just wondering if I should swap it out.

Scott

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Cable modems are actually bridges. And the line itself would be the bottleneck, so I doubt a newer cable modem would buy you anything.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
As long as it is DOCSIS 1.0 or 1.1 then you are fine. A few cable companies are rolling out DOCSIS 2.0 modems but they are not utilizing them yet, so they work in 1.0/1.1 mode.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by Chealion
What is DOCSIS?

Any more clarification then that Webopedia link in my above sentence?

It still doesn't make much sense to me (yet).

DOCSIS is like Ethernet, or Firewire, USB, ATA, SCSI, etc. It is a standard or specification that allows products from various manufacturers to work together and accomplish a task. In this case, giving you Internet access over the cable network. If DOCSIS was not around or the equivalent, then the cable company would have to buy the backend equipment from the same provider as the cable modems and would be locked into that specific vendor for everything. DOCSIS allows the manufacturers to test their equipment and verify that it follows DOCSIS and they consumers and cable companies will be able to use it and it will work.

To put it into another perspective, imagine if Ethernet didn't exist and you needed to move files from one computer to another. Both computers have a NIC, but there are from two different manufacturers. The first computer has a NIC from brand A and it only works with switches and router from brand A. The other computer has one from brand Z and it only works with other products from brand Z.

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
I had a RoadRunner cable modem for almost four years and just got a new one a month ago.

I noticed a difference in download speeds immediately. It never hurts to pick up a new one, they're free. Well we are paying for it, but you know what I mean ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.