Cables and Next Generation gaming systems

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spartacus, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Spartacus macrumors member

Nov 28, 2004
    Hey folks,

I'm looking to purchase some cables for my Xbox 360 and possibly a future PS3. What specifications in cables are good to look for in regards to HDMI and optical audio? It looks like I could buy two 6' optical audio cables off of Ebay for about $10USD after shipping, but considering they sell for $50 at a brick and mortar store for only one, I'm concerned they may deliver a noticeably less quality experience. The same is true with HDMI.

I'm not an audiophile, nor am I concerned with a philosophical (but non-noticeable) improvement in picture quality on my 1080i TV over component, so what are the things I should be looking for that will make a REAL WORLD difference to my gaming experience? Thanks!
  2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I just picked up a bunch of Monster Cables off of and got an amazing deal.

For the 360, I got Xbox 360 Component/Optical Audio Cable for $45.95, it retails for $69.95.

For my cable box, I got DVI->HDMI 2M Cable. This one was the best bargain, I paid $11.95 and it retails for $119.95 :eek: :eek: . There were similar deals on HDMI->HDMI cables but I don't have a PS3 (or anything else for that matter!) that uses this sort of cable.

I also picked up a couple of optical cables for $11.95 each.

You can also check out I've never delt with them but I hear good things from a couple of friends.

Basically, my point here is if you shop around online, you can find some amazing deals. From my experience, brick and mortor stores charge an arm and a leg for these cables and its worth spending a few hours online looking for a deal.
  3. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2006
    #3 Don't buy anywhere else. Brick & Mortar stores are a ripoff when it comes to cables.
  4. Spartacus thread starter macrumors member

Nov 28, 2004
    I'm aware that the Internet is a much more cost-efficient place to buy cables, but my question is more about specifications. Not every HDMI and optical audio cable is the same, so what specific things should I be looking for in the cable to know I'll receive a quality product?