Cables everywhere - aaarrrgh!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stevep, Feb 8, 2005.

1. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

What do people do with their cables? I really don't like the look of all the usb and power cables trailing all over the desk (graphics tablet, iMic, 4 port hub, scanner etc etc).
    My desk is a piece of worktop with two pedestal cupboard units underneath. I was thinking about screwing a piece of trunking to the wall behind the desk to run them all through, or maybe running them under the worktop, with holes for the plugs to pop up through.

I'd really like to know what other people do though - all ideas welcome.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Minimize and hide. Use wireless networking, bluetooth input devices, then route the cables as much as possible out of sight.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

How do I live with it, very carefully. Don't want to end up choking myself to death with one of these wires. :D

That said. Bluetooth, wireless basestation, and zip ties for the cables that wont ever move. Other than that, I push them to the back wall near by feet and hope I don't get electrified.

5. narco macrumors 65816

narco

Since I stopped using my BT mouse/keyboard (batteries drained faster than a pitcher of kool-aid), I had to re-work my setup to appear wireless again.

The best thing: Twisty Ties. It really sucks when you have to unplug something, but it really organizes everything.

Also, IKEA sells these plastic "snake" looking things to put your cables in. This makes it look like you only have one really thick cable, and it's easier to hang from the bottom of your desk so that cords aren't dangling on the floor.

One thing I did is nail a piece of wood behind my desk and rest all my giant power boxes on that. I used to worry about them getting too hot and burning the carpet, but I don't have to worry so much now that I have hardwood floors.

Fishes,
    narco.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my desk is made so that the computer sits up on a little pedestal-like thingy, so i am able to put my power brick, and all other needed cords down underneath the computer, it works out well, i try and keep the clutter down, definitely use twist ties or better yet the reusable velcro ones, i think they make organization better personally, now i think i might just have to reorganize my desk structure a bit so things work out a bit better

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

First, placement of your components will dictate where wires go... so place your components in such a way that the wires for them are out of sight. It may mean reorganizing your desktop a bit, but eventually you will be able to get most of the wires out of sight.

Then, go get a big bag of black cable ties, some cup hooks (white, vinyl-coated, 1"), some black cable looming (size depends on how many cables you are running), and some of those sticky things that adhere to a surface and let you run cable ties through them. Using these items, you can create cable runs under and behind your desk... wrap the cables in looming, tie them together with ties, and use cup hooks (screwed into the bottom and back of your desk) and sticky things to keep the cables where you want them to be.

Finally, use wireless desktop accessories if you can... keyboard, mouse, etc. And if you can, drill a hole through the top of your desk right behind the monitor, so that its cable(s) can go through to underneath the desk.

With enough planning and work, you can set up your desktop so that there are NO wires visible from your chair... and only minimal visible wiring everywhere else.