Caches..safe to delete?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aaagat111, Dec 17, 2005.

1. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

What exactly is the caches folder? Can i delete its contents, or are they important for the OS.

Are there any other folders that i can delete its contents to save any space.

-AAA

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Caches store information that can help speed up some operations that have already been done in the past. They are safe to delete, but will result in a short-term performance hit until the caches have been recreated.

If you're deleting them just to save space though, there's not a lot of point. It will only help in the short term, because the caches will just be recreated again when you you repeat the tasks that originally created them.

3. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Of course it all depends on what caches you are deleting... It's usually best however to get the application associated with the cache to delete it, for instance "Safari -> Empty Cache" in Safari.

There are other caches that I would advise not deleting by yourself and these include the low level .Mac and keychain caches. I have deleted the former and it has created issues.