Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irod87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I have OSX Server running on a Mac Pro running Mavericks. I have app caching turned on. It seems to be caching Mac App Store apps as it currently shows 13gb of cached apps. Its not caching iOS apps for some reason? Any idea why? I also noticed it was making the ipads very slow to start an app download or update. I turned caching service off and the ipads returned to normal behavior when downloading and updating. This is in a k-12 environment. We do run vlans but the laptops that are caching would be on the same vlan as the ipads since they are all on wireless. 400 ipads roughly and about 120 macbook pros running Yosemite.

Cybrex

Contributor
Aug 12, 2015
Iowa
Having recently worked with Apple Engineers who came on-site to assist us with an advanced network configuration for the OS X Caching Service, I suspect that this is a network issue. My biggest takeaway from the on-site engineering engagement was that the caching service works great as long as all of your T's are crossed and your I's are dotted (in terms of network configuration).

Could you post the internal IP address, subnet mask, and gateway of your server, one of the laptops, and one of your iPads? Or, if you're not comfortable posting that info, you should check to make absolutely sure that all three devices are on the exact same network segment/VLAN by checking the last two octets of the IP address and subnet are identical, and that the gateway address is the same across all devices.

Let me know your result, and we can go from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.