.CAD / .dwg files

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pommy1, Jan 9, 2005.

1. pommy1 macrumors newbie

pommy1

Hi

Can anyone help me - I need to transfer some CAD files from my PC to Mac for future use. I am not sure which CAD application I will go for but when I do which file type (CAD or dwg or dxf) would be the best type to save the files as now?

Thank you.

2. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

depends on the program, i use vectorworks and it reads both dwg and dxf if it remember right.

3. fuzzwud macrumors regular

perhaps, an ashlar vellum product such as Argon or Xenon or Cobalt? check it out at www.ashlar.com

there's a site specifically for mac cad related issues; they may recommend the best options for you.

www.architosh.com

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

save your files as dxf since you don't know what program you'll be using.....even adobe illustrator can open a dxf file

5. big macrumors 65816

big

since media and space is sooo big now, save them in all the formats... then run and buy Powercadd by ENGSW.COM, they have a free trial version now, it is by far the best design studio EVER!!!!

6. denm316 macrumors 6502

Numerous people I work with use Power cadd as already suggested. They said it was was best App out of all they have tried.

7. big macrumors 65816

big

Man yeah... it is by far the BEST. I have used them all too. The learning curve is the shortest, its intuitive to the Mac platform (ie, if you can run a Mac, you can run powercadd) and I believe it is the cheapest out there per seat, which if you ever hire someone, or several someones, this becomes very important.

however, you MUST get Wildtools and the DWG translator, these are so necessary to functionality its not even funny. Yeah, you can run basic powercadd, but those two add ons make the world of a difference.

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Don't forget ArchiCAD.

Best CAD for those who know structures and best open-GL 3D modeling. Models are created realtime and it speaks DXF/DWG out of the box.

ArchiCAD by Graphisoft www.graphisoft.com

9. big macrumors 65816

big

that's a great one for 3-D.. and plays well with others. I have yet to use it much, though I have seen what it can do, and some of the final drawings I've seen look real....

10. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I spent 2 years drafting on it before I got sick of the work environment (in retrospect I should have stayed.)

The realtime modelling can show you hiccups in the plans (rooflines in particular) that would be a bitch to catch otherwise. Plus it's damn impressive to sit the client next to you and "napkin sketch" a rough house or do mods as fast as you can drag walls and click on the 3D window :D :cool: .