CAD for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robotrenegade, Oct 24, 2004.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Anyone know the best CAD program for mac is? Is auto CAD coming to mac soon?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Some people use AutoCad with VirtualPC but I haven't personally tried this. I've just used it on a PC.

There is another program called Vectorworks that some people seem to like...
    http://www.nemetschek.net/vectorworks/

3. mherz macrumors member

For doing mostly 2d work Vectorworks is by far the best CAD program in my opinion. It doesnt behave as "bureaucratically" as autocad. The plans also end up looking nicer and have better graphics or layouts. But for 3d its bad. If you want to do 2d as well as extensive 3d work, you better think about using a seperate programme for each, for example form-z for the 3d part and vectorworks for drawing sections and plan. Archicad is also good and has reasonable 3d capabilities.

4. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

What's your opinion of PowerCADD for the Mac?

Max.

6. scan300 macrumors 6502

Here's a good site for the Mac architect/CAD community. You should find good reviews of software and choices.
    http://www.architosh.com/

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it's only for 2D work but it's a fine drafting program

8. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

If you only need 2D then PowerCADD is great. I am just starting to learn to use it and I find a lot of the features very helpful for my particular brand fo drafting (patent illustration). They have a free 30 day trial version if you want to give it a go. It is a little confusing at first but the documentation is pretty helpful.

9. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Autocad

I seem to remember Autocad's developers being open to an OSX based version of the software and had a feedback form. There didn't seem to enough demand for the product so they trashed it. Also, it was felt that the Autocad interface was too windows like, so what would have been the point? Too bad for them, it would be so cool to have a nice Mac interface and a Dual G5. Oh well.