Cad on the new ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Oct 25, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
  2. Studawg7 macrumors regular

May 15, 2004
    Cville, VA

As in computer aided drawing/drafting? Autodesk? Check here
    for any Mac CAD programs. To my knowledge, your choices of most popular CAD software are quite limited or nill.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    sure you'll be able to use CAD on the new's a pretty small screen though

I've used both vectorworks and powercadd on my old G3 ibook wouldnt have any trouble with a new ibook
  4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    yes, Autocad dominates the CAD software market and yes, it's true that Autocad isn't available on the Mac..... but there are a number of good programs available.....especially if you're interested in architecture, construction and the related engineering fields

the overwhelming use of CAD is still 2D drafting but there are also 3D available too
  5. panda macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004
    another possibility

archicad and vector works are the 2 best programs i know for mac.

i believe hey are both totally 3d.

i used vector works a long time ago and it was good.

archicad i've used more recently in a newer version and it is terrific. it also renders, animates...

all this on a 12" 500mhz ibook. i sure would have liked a bigger screen. if i were to do serious cad work now, i would feel the 12" or even 15" (pb) screen to be too small. i would probably opt for a pb with external monitor. :)
  6. panda macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004

what i do not know is... how would the ibook work with an external monitor. when using archicad, there was space on the 12"screen for the drwg and the palettes. the problem was, the drawing was too small to get a good 'fee' for what was going on.

so would an external screen have blon up the image sufficiently to be more workable? would the famous screen hack have helped? i don't know, but it would be interesting to test this. :p

the bottom line is, the ibook runs cad great, but when it comes to cad, the bigger the screen the better.