CAD program

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mynameismatt89, Sep 17, 2006.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

hey all,

I've been searching alot on google and have been reading alot of articles about the best CAD program for mac that can compare to windows' AutoCAD. I will be attending university to study architecture and im wondering what the best program will be to use. I need one that is compatible with AutoCAD so that i can go back and forth between my CAD program and AutoCAD. Also, which one is most similar to AutoCAD so that i wont have to learn about two ENTIRELY different programs. Will the professors offer a mac based program that i can use, or will the professor only teach how to use AutoCAD (i already have experience using this program in highschool) and so i will be 'screwed' and forced to buy a windows computer to use AutoCAD???

Ive found these programs to be compatible with AutoCAD for importing and exporting drawings :
    ArchiCAD
    Vectorworks
    MacDraft 5.5
    PowerCADD
    VersaCAD
    TurboCAD

2. skd macrumors 6502

Mac Cad

I've been an architect for 30 years and after using acad for 20 years I switched over to mac a year ago. I have a new intel mac so I have acad loaded on my mac. My process for design with a mac - I use SketchUp for conceptual design and HighDesign for 2D drwaings. HighDesign was developed by architects for architects. For production drawings I outsource my work to India where they use acad. Their rates are very reasonable and the turnaround time is incredible. To me drafting is a very small part of the design process, but as a student it would be benificial to learn as many software programs as possible.
    skd

3. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Im finishing up my Grad Industrial Design degree, and I hate to say it, but at school, its a Windows World. Trying to find substitute programs is hard, and isnt going to help your learning process. Your professors will most likely want you to use specific programs, not compatible ones.

I have a Macbook Pro, and it runs alias and solidworks excellently using bootcamp. (not exactly useful architectural programs, but you get the idea) I suggest you invest in an Intel based mac, and use bootcamp. My tip for windows: DONT GO ONLINE WITH IT. dont even setup the networking hardware. Just have windows, the programs you need to have on it, and thats it.

4. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Anyone using AutoCAD under Parallels Desktop? How does that work out from a performance perspective? I've got quite a few architects interested in switching to Intel Macs, but aren't looking to let go of AutoCAD.

5. jrichie macrumors regular

I gave acad a go in Parallels [macbook 2ghz with 2 gb ram] and it is barely useable in my opinion.

However it runs extremely well in Bootcamp! I have my macbook set up with a 20" mac display and it is fantastic.

So, I would say at present to stick with Bootcamp [as others have said].

Personally I would love to use Archicad 10 and maxonform in the future and be totally mac only but I don't think this will happen for me.

As a tip for someone starting University, learn Revit 9 + Archicad 10 first. From the start think in 3D and draw in 3D - it is the way of the future. Acad is still good for details but parametric 3D is the way [see archicad 10 and get a student version]

6. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Uch! Not what I wanted to hear. This shop has an old Mac and a new PC at every architect's desk. IMO it would defeat the purpose of consolidating onto a Mac Pro if they had to reboot into Windows to get actual AutoCAD work done.

Though the thought is to run it on a somewhat more powerful machine with real video processing, e.g. at least a midrange Mac Pro.

7. LvNgLegeNd macrumors newbie

AutoCAD copy issue

I read on a a different mac forum that someone had an issue w/ AutoCAD under BootCamp. Apparentaly, Windows under BootCamp wouldn't let them run a "copy" of AutoCAD {you know, a burnt version of AutoCAD, not the true thousand dollar disc;) } b/c of an issue w/ the motherboard. Out of curiosity, I was wondering, of the people using AutoCAD w/ BootCamp, if they use a real version or a copy of AutoCAD?

8. relimw macrumors 6502a

Do keep in mind that Parallels is in active development and that there are known issues running on the Mac Pro including no 3D acceleration.

9. ddekker macrumors regular

cad software

anyone tried loading Pro Engineer ona mac? they have ports for windows unix, and linux, I figured since the mac is some kind of unix/linux cross breed maybe it could run native... anyone? I'll give it a shot in the next few weeks.

D

10. bleachthru macrumors member

bleachthru

My school recently bought some new intel macs, and we run autocad under parallels and it runs just as fast as on the newer pc's of which the lab still has a decent amount of. It may be a newer version of paralles though, but is is nice to be able to go from autocad, to an OSX app with out restarting! It is autocad 2007, also FYI some faculty run copied versions of autocad with out problem under parallels.