CAD programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Sep 9, 2005.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Can anyone recommend a good ( but easy to learn! ) CAD program

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want 3D, 2D, or both. Generally speaking, most programs will do one of the options well, but not so hot for the other (i.e. good for 3D, but 2D is only so-so). Not much experience with lots Mac CAD packages, but I liked PowerCADD for 2D stuff, but it was not very easy to figure out.

3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

For Windows (sorry!) theres ProDesktop. A pretty neat program for what it is. Fairly straight forward and easy to learn. It's not fancy by far, a beginners program, but with patience you can create some pretty good stuff with it. Also has your drawing modes built in, so you can create something and then get the plans. I've used it for years and I like it! Can't really fault it again, as I got it for free under licence from my college.

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I'm an experienced draughtsman ( plans elevations etc ) - but I do it by hand - and now working on some exhibition / themepark stuff making models of the exhibits. But when talking about doing plans etc. I was told their stuff was all CAD now. - so looking for something professional ( not the cheapo ' design your own kitchen for dummies' programs ) - But I don't really want to go back to college to learn it.

cheers

5. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ah right ok.

Looked at Maya or 3D Studio Max? I have no experience with these but they are supposed to be the bees knees!

Hope this helps. :)

6. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

If you are looking for CAD programs for the Mac, check out this site...

Architosh

They discuss all things CAD for the Mac. I use Vectorworks which runs around $600 US and is fairly intuitive for being a pretty sophisticated piece of software. It's no AutoCAD, but it does quite nicely for 2D and to a lesser extent 3D.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you go to apple.com > made4mac and check out the listings for 2D/3D software you'll find you can search for CAD programs.......vectorworks is popular, archicadd is considered excellent, sketchup gets good review and comments.....and there are programs that focus on 3D modeling if that's your interest