CAD Software under OS X

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skp574, Jan 25, 2005.

1. skp574 macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2005
    Gonna be getting my Mini soon.... :D

I use AutoCAD at work to do a lot CAD drawing under XP. What are the options for an AutoCAD compatible piece of software under OS X?

I remember using AutoCAD on a Mac about 15 years ago. AutoDesk's website does not show any Mac versions of current software.

Most of the software I run has Mac alternatives, MS Office, Photoshop, etc. But what about CAD software.

I only use is for markups of architect's drawings (2D only). Having used AutoCAD clones in the past (TurboCAD to name a few), I have found that you can't beat the real thing.

I guess I could run AutoCAD under Virtual PC, but I'm sure that would be a killer.
  2. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
  3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    what kind of work are you using Autocad for? 2D? 3D? architecture? engineering?

some possible choices depending on what you need to do; AchiCAD, VectorWorks, PowerCADD, Graphite (from Ashlar Vellum), Maya, FormZ, MacDraft, Cadtools (plu-in for Illustrator), CADintosh (shareware from the people who make graphicconvertor), Highdesign........there are others too

if you need to send drawings back and forth to people who are using autocad then make sure you get a program that will import/export dwg or dxf files

if you go to and then select the "made4mac" tab, you can do a search for all sorts of different software products
  4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    opps....missed this part of your post

I know an architect who uses vectorworks and his engineers use autocad...he exports his files as dwg for the engineers to use, they do their work in autocad and send him dwg files which he can open in vectorworks....he says it works fine

as for running Autocad using Virtual PC, that's a possiblity, lots of people slam VPC for being slow but I know of people who do use autocad under VPC....most of them say it works ok but that they wouldn't recommend it as a solution for full time production I think you should be able to make it work for marking up somebody else's drawings
  5. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    Check this out too: vector works 11

It is a pretty cool CAD system for Mac. I have not personally used it to date however I have seen it in use and it looks pretty capable for general purpose "CAD" type work.
  6. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Gotta get my plug in....

Vectorworks will do you but if you're looking for a full featured CAD package purpose-built for architecture there's no comparisson for the ease of use and modelling power of ArchiCAD by Graphisoft.

(I really should get a kickback from them for this stuff) ;) :rolleyes: :D
  7. skp574 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2005
    Thanks guys for all the advice. I'll have a look into to those apps you suggested.
  8. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2002
    AutoCAD in VPC will make you want to cry.

Vectorworks 11 has awesome support for AutoCAD .dwg files now. I can open 3D AutoCAD files created in ACAD 2000 and they open perfectly except for dimensions. BUT, that's because you couldn't dimension in paperspace in ACAD 2000, or so I'm told. I hear dims work better in drawings created with ACAD 2002 and up.

Vectorworks 11 has full support for viewports now as well! A HUGE improvement over compatibility over VW 10. HUGE.
  9. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    I really like vectorworks. It's easy to learn and use and works well with acad.

that was my 2 euro cent